Sick of X-Fi, went back to onboard

tsamb.

I had had some el cheapo X-Fi in a PCI-E slot for quite a while and was running six channels analogue out to my Z-5500s. I had started to hear (or maybe it was always there) a bit of noise when certain frequencies were played. This was noticeable in certain parts of music and in certain game sound effects. (Most noticeably, I loaded up good ol' Diablo II and played through it, and the potion sound effect always had a sort of crackle in it.)

It was always the left channel. I thought, ah drat, the speaker is stuffed. But I swapped the left and right channel speakers and it wasn't the speaker.

Then I disabled the X-Fi and plugged back into my mobo sound, and lo and behold, the crackle is completely gone.

Perhaps it was noise coming through on the PCI-E bus? Or else it's just another piece of Creative junk hardware.

I do prefer the multitude of options in the Creative software, but then again said software is still bloated.

I'd rather have dumbed down software/drivers and have crystal clear sound though. So that's where I am.

Actually it's not that old. I picked it up mid-2008.

And that is after one DOA RMA (well actually just a return and replace).

I have had a huge amount of issues with Creative stuff in the past as well (hasn't everyone?). Like incompatibility of drivers on Vista, OpenAL support, and Creative software/hardware being one of several causes of Bioshock not working.

The one Creative card I have been happy with, and am still happy with is my Audigy 2 Platinum Pro. I have used that for several sampling recordings and have been impressed with its build quality.

These new X-Fi cards, on the other hand, don't seem to be built as well as the old gear at all.

after i installed the K drivers that creative so happen to remove of everywhere but torrents my audigy 2 started to run really nice again. once i switch from win32 all creative support for drivers went down hill, years later i'm using vista and these K drivers are rocking!

the crackling isn't the card, its the drivers i swear! i had the same issues untill i switched.

Edited by hornybluecow

• 2 weeks later...

Creative are known for the 'crackles' in there cards and they have never admitted to such a problem, I too get it sometimes although its usually on when i play GRID and I look backwards in a car, I know very strange

I think I may go Asus next time