Custom water cooling...

Pariah43

Don't know much about this stuff to be honest, but is it possible to use steel braided hoses and such in a water cooling system??

And, what is the best performing CPU waterblocks out there?

Edited by Pariah43

Your ability to use steel braid will depend on whether you can find the correct id hose to use in the loop. There are two standard fitting sizes 3/8 and 1/2" for your pump, radiator, reservoir (if used) and water blocks. I'm not sure what sizes of steel braided line are available. Furthermore you'll need to consider how you would actually secure the steel braided tubing to the fitting barbs. Hose clamps? Compression fittings? Last but not least I'm not sure how flexible steel braid hoses are, but flexibility is a major consideration for most folks when choosing tubing.

As far as water blocks go in no particular order and assuming I were going to buy new cpu blocks today, it would be one of these two;

Heatkiller 3.0

EK Supreme

Don't they make "steel braided" wire sleeving? And from what I have read the D-Tek Fuzion 2.0 or the Swiftech Apogee GTZ are some of the best blocks on the market atm. I haven't heard much about EK's cpu blocks but I hear good things about there gpu blocks.

you can get sleeves? any idea where from (understanding i have to get it to australia)

You can get sleeve kits from either Autobarn or Supercheap Auto - they sell engine 'dress-up' kits with various diameter stainless sleeving, along with anodized ends that hide a standard hose clamp. I'm pretty sure Autobarn have individual lengths in a roll.

I have not used the stuff myself, but i've seen it used in car shows, etc.

Seeing as you have to slip it over the tubing yourself, it's never going to be a nice tight fit like real braided hose, & tbh it looks like balls....

Compression fittings + G1/4 male? maybe..........

Not a bad option, I'm gunna look into that... But can compression fittings fit onto a Striker II Extreme cooling system?

You can get sleeve kits from either Autobarn or Supercheap Auto - they sell engine 'dress-up' kits with various diameter stainless sleeving, along with anodized ends that hide a standard hose clamp. I'm pretty sure Autobarn have individual lengths in a roll.

I have not used the stuff myself, but i've seen it used in car shows, etc.

Seeing as you have to slip it over the tubing yourself, it's never going to be a nice tight fit like real braided hose, & tbh it looks like balls....

Depends on how good I can get the sleeveing looking. Its not like anyone will(should) be looking at the old beasty really, so it all comes down to wether or not I'm happy with the end result more than anything.

Edited by Pariah43