Annoying file transfer issue

SMeeD

When I attempt to transfer files from another computer (running XP) the transfer speeds are terrible. They start at 8MBps and within a minute they are at 1MBps.

I first noticed it today and I havent changed anything on either machines. Ive tried transferring files off with 2 computers and I get the same thing with each. The odd thing is I can upload to that machine all day at 7MBps. Ive rebooted each machine, installed the drivers for the second ethernet port and tried that, Ive ran Windows update, tried 1gb and 100mbps full duplex. Why does stupid crap like this happen randomly on windows networks?

Stupid crap like that happens on windows networks because SMB (windows networking) is bloated and runs with mucho overhead. For significant file transfer between any system in my home network, I try to use FTP. FTP is a more efficient network protocol, and your transfer speeds should be far greater and durable than SMB. Filezilla Server is free and easy to setup, and Filezilla Client is also free.

Edited by benjaminw

Thanks I guess Ill give that a go... I noticed that the computer Im transferring files from slows to a crawl when the speeds start to take a dump so I hope its not a deeper issue. Its an X2 machine so it should be plenty fast enough for some piddly background file transfers.

Well I got it working easily enough but Im having the same issue. It starts off fine, then there is a small hiccup/pause and it plummets to 1MBps.... Then the system takes about 30 seconds to respond to any clicks.

Edit* For anyone wondering the computer has an NF4 board in it, both the Marvel and nvidia LAN does the same thing.

Edited by SMeeD

When this used to happen to me, I think almost all the time, running Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine would fix the transfer speed problem

Other things I've tried are TCP Optimiser to adjust the MTU size of the NIC, setting it to 100Mbps half-duplex, and setting up dummy accounts on each PC

It used to be really annoying because I could pull the data to one machine and it would be ok, but pushing data to the machine would be really slow (or vice versa I can't even remember), so the same transfer direction, but different speeds

My DFI NF4 Ultra-D is still running and transfers normally, so if you can't get Network Setup Wizard to work, I could look at the NIC settings...

I just tried all of that... Even using a different port on my router. I used TCP Optimizer and set the optimal settings and it didnt change. When I watch task manager the network utilization spikes, plateaus and plummets.

Im thinking of using trying a live CD, mounting the drive and sharing through FTP just to see if its something to do with windows.

what OS is on the other rig...? Vista?

may be time for a fresh install on the Vista rig if it is...

I havent ever noticed anything like this on my network other than running Vista...

My server on the network is a AMD AM2 dual core with 4gig of ram on XP 32bit

the other rigs have had XP and win7 and all rigs are hooked to a Trendnet gigabit switch...I can pull and push from the server at 100mb/s no issue