Sign in to follow this  
punkishbloke

Two 8800gt at x8 or one at x16

This may be a stupid question but which is better as my motherboard in sli drops both pci-e slots to x8. im still assuming that two 8800gt in sli would be significantly quicker?

An 8800GT won't saturate a x8 slot. So there won't be any performance difference between an 8800GT in a x16 slot, or in a x8 slot.

So to answer your question, yes, 2 8800GTs in SLI will be faster than 1 on it's own when they're both in x8 slots.

An 8800GT won't saturate a x8 slot. So there won't be any performance difference between an 8800GT in a x16 slot, or in a x8 slot.

So to answer your question, yes, 2 8800GTs in SLI will be faster than 1 on it's own when they're both in x8 slots.

:withstupid:

People make way too big a deal out of the 4x, 8x, 16x junk. For most people's uses, it means very little.

:withstupid:

People make way too big a deal out of the 4x, 8x, 16x junk. For most people's uses, it means very little.

and if they are referring to PCI-E 2.0, not even a 295 breaches the bandwidth limitations of 8x

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I believe in Sli/Xfire you can exceed the 4x bandwidth of PCI-E 1.0 in certain games. Like IVIYTHOS said, if you have a 2.0 board you are good even at 4x.

i was running a 9800GTX+ in a 4x 1.1 slot, ran the same as the 16x slot.