Why does OC fail after installing new ram?

I replaced my 1GB of generic DDR2 800MHz with 2 * 2GB Corsair Dominators into my GA-EP35-DS4. The CPU (E2220) was OCed with a 250 FSB * 12 @ 3.0GHz. Which was stable for atleast 9 hours but when I booted with the dominators it got to the options screen (BIOS, post...) then shut off and restarted (normal for bad OCs). I then went into BIOS and found that the CPU settings had been reset as it does when it cannot boot an OC. Since the RAM was only at 800MHz I changed the FSB to 266 and the multiplier to 9 to get 2.93GHz. So now the RAM was running at 1066 and I saved and exited. Then it booted fine or so I thought. When windows loaded I checked CPU-Z and it had changed the clock back to the stock 2.4GHz.

I am quite puzzled why the RAM would affect it. I haven't tried any different settings yet just hoping someone can tell me why this is happening. Thanks.

There are plenty of reasons why this would happen. First of all, you need to check the timings on the new dominators and also check what the timing settings are in your BIOS. If the old ram ran at tighter timings (which is likely given that they were lower clock speed) then the old timings may not work for the new sticks.

Also, it could be voltage. Again, maybe your new sticks require more than your old ones. Performance ram usually does.

So find out what your dominators need for timings and voltage and just adjust those settings in your BIOS accordingly. You'll probably be fine after that.

This is a classic example of why there are no exact rules when overclocking your PC hardware.

This should be stuckied or put into a FAQ thread.

How many times do we get asked "hey I have this set of RAM or this cpu, give me settings to use so I can overclock"

You just can't slap in hardware, press a few keys in BIOS and then play hours if crysis or run your photoshop suite and make that special picture for Grandma. (I'm not suggesting OP did this but its fairly similar even though his PC was stable before the RAM change)

Nobody but the guy sitting in front of his PC can find the exact stable settings to make PC run properly, unless of course you buy a Dell. If you take the time to learn what you are doing it will be a far more enjoyable experience.

Err...About that? I don't think I'm to guilty since I didn't ask for specific values of ram timings and co...Its not like I said what do I set the Vcore, FSB and multiplier to maky 4.4GHz?

Anyway the dominators timings were actually faster then the original RAM even though they are 1066 but whatever. Could still not get it to boot with the OC. But with the voltage the only thing was "DDR2 Over Voltage Control" (Which isn't it right?) but that didn't have a set number it only had the option to raise the voltage not to set one like Vcore. Anyway I upped the voltage on that but it still didn't work. I also tried lower CPU clocks but nope. So is that DDR2 Over Voltage Control the one I should be changing and just keep raiseing it until it boots?

No, don't just "keep raising it til it boots". That's called "shooting in the dark" :)

Figure out what your ram needs. Probably 2.1v or 2.2v. Then set your motherboard to that setting. That's all. The tricky part is that all types of motherboards do memory settings differently. Some you can just set the value straight away. Others have over-voltage stuff. Sounds like you're in that boat. In that case, you just need to remember that the default voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v. So you need to over-volt by 0.3v to get 2.1v, for example.

You said you're running 250FSB. So if that's the case, the Dominators should do that at stock settings. So if you've got the motherboard BIOS set to run them at stock timings and stock voltage and they still don't work, then you're going to have to re-evaluate your OC. In that case, I'd start by making sure everything works at stock speeds for the CPU. If it does, start the OC process over and find your new OC with that memory. That's about all you can do.

Ok Figured that overvoltage thing out before but it still didn't boot at the 2.1v the RAM is rated at.

Looks like its time to start again and see if I can get any OC. Thanks.

*EDIT*

Ok now somethings not right. I can't even get a 201 FSB. This is on totally normal and changed settings. Any ideas how this could happen?

Edited by The Punkinator