Sign in to follow this  
The Smith

Auto-start [email protected] application

Hey guys,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04. I am trying to get the [email protected] application to start automatically when I log on. What I am not able is to tell him to run in a terminal so I can Ctrl+C it when I finished.

So far what I have done:

I created a shell file (.sh) in which I have:

#!/bin/sh

cd /home/thesmith/folding/ && ./fah6 -smp 3

Then I made this file executable by doing the chmod thing. Also I went into "Sessions in the "Preferences" menu and I added the shell thingy in the list so it starts automatically.

So far it works; the PC is folding however the process is not in a terminal so I cannot see it.

I looked around and I found the following command which can be used to open a terminal.

gnome-terminal

Now, how do I do to put these together so it will fold in the terminal?

My ultimate goal is to have everything automatic so I can let the PC run without any graphics card. By disabling the onboard graphics, I save another 8W. Ultimately I will probably be able to to go under 100W load, that is with a 95W Phenom II X3 720. It outputs approximately 3000PPD. Later on I will probably make the computer completely fanless so my parents will not know if it's ON or not. :D

Thanks

Edited by The Smith

Hey guys,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04. I am trying to get the [email protected] application to start automatically when I log on. What I am not able is to tell him to run in a terminal so I can Ctrl+C it when I finished.

I'm a bit rusty with Linux, but could you not use the command 'fg' and move the process from the background to the foreground then kill it with Ctrl+C?

Although I'd probably try something like this:

ps -ef | grep fah6 (this should get you the process id number, aka PID of fah6, if there are multiple processes ID's assigned to fah6, use the smallest numbered process for it) The '|' is pipe, on my keyboard it is shift+\

kill PID (where PID is the process ID number from above. You could do a 'kill -9 PID' if the process is stubborn and kill by itself fails to stop it.)

Take a look at the man pages for proper syntax and usage:

man fg

man ps

man grep

man kill

Yeah but the thing is that it must be really easy to do since the rig would not have any graphics card, therefore no display.

If the terminal window was opened, I would just have to hit Ctrl+C on the keyboard and them press the power button. :)

I tried something like:

gnome-terminal -e "cd /home/thesmith/folding/ && ./fah6 -smp 3"

But I get: "error creating the child process".

Yeah but the thing is that it must be really easy to do since the rig would not have any graphics card, therefore no display.

If the terminal window was opened, I would just have to hit Ctrl+C on the keyboard and them press the power button. :)

ok, could you shell into the headless box from another pc on your home network?

or

I think most/all linux distos allow you to give the ctrl-alt-del to reboot the box. You could change that functionality to shutdown rather than reboot.

I think remote access is your best choice. Should be easy enough to just remote-in stop the process & reboot/shutdown. There's no stabbing around in the dark to be done then either

I think remote access is your best choice. Should be easy enough to just remote-in stop the process & reboot/shutdown. There's no stabbing around in the dark to be done then either

I also thought it would work but apparently it does not. VNC transmits data in form of video, so the accessed computer still has to render what would be on the screen. :(

Shutting down is not a problem, it's just that I need to properly close the [email protected] application, i.e. Ctrl+C

I also thought it would work but apparently it does not. VNC transmits data in form of video, so the accessed computer still has to render what would be on the screen. :(

install ssh. Then use putty to remote in. It is really easy and what I do on my headless server.

use a startup script?

i dont know exactly, but im pretty sure ubuntu uses bsd style init scripts.. so just read up on it a bit then make some files that work and put them in your /etc/rc.d

je ne sais pas

install ssh. Then use putty to remote in. It is really easy and what I do on my headless server.

Do I really need to install SSH? I don't need it to be secured...

Is it supposed to work if I select RAW? For now I only get a black window with a green rectangle, and it closes after a couple of seconds...