Sign in to follow this  
xPETEZx

Xfire FPS counter

Hi Guys!

I have been using X-Fire to display my FPS in most games, just to get an idea of how high I can push the settings, before the FPS drop below 40 ish.

Well, I just purchased Left 4 Dead yesterday, and installed it. Played it, and turned the counter on. It said I was getting upwards of 180 FPS. So I cranked all settings to max, including AA to Qx16? (What is that??) and AF to 16

Now the FPS counter still showed 100+ non-stop.

I thought this cant be right. In all the reviews where much better cards are tested than mine, they barely get over 100.

So I switched on the Valve FPS counter using cl_showfps 1, and sure enough, it showed FPS in the range of 30 - 60.

Just to double check, I then started Half-Life 2 DM, and switched the FPS counter of the game on, and the XFire counter. Xfire showed my FPS consistently above 700. While HL2DM showed the FPS to stick around 280-299. (Never going above 299)

Whats the deal? Is the Xfire FPS counter just wrong? How is it getting its numbers?

Thanks!!

:withstupid:

Are you saying you haven't really got the system in your signature?

GTX275 x THREE :blink:

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Usually Xfire shows below what you get, because it also hogs up power from your pc, more than others. Do you have Vsync on? Because I always get 60ish FPS in CoD WaW and other games I test it with.(Although I did once get 300ish FPS in CoH :lol:)

Dont have Vsync on. Will switch it on, and just see what kind of FPS I get according to Xfire then.

Dont want FRAPS. Used it before and hate it. Plus, its just another program to have running.

I always have Xfire running when I game, so would be great if it could do it.

Thanks! Must be something with my config :P

how do you check you FPS in xfire...?

I have it on but dont see the option anywhere...I could check mine against Fraps as well...but...

When in game, you can bring up the in Game menu, and there is a setting to show the FPS, Clock and other things.

I am now SURE its wrong.

I enabled Vsync, and Xfire is still showing my FPS in excess of 180. While the Built in counter never goes above 60. (L4D)

When in game, you can bring up the in Game menu, and there is a setting to show the FPS, Clock and other things.

I am now SURE its wrong.

I enabled Vsync, and Xfire is still showing my FPS in excess of 180. While the Built in counter never goes above 60. (L4D)

Built in counter?

You mean the one from Xfire that is posted in the top right(Not sure if that is just how I set it to be)

Built in counter?

You mean the one from Xfire that is posted in the top right(Not sure if that is just how I set it to be)

He's talking about the in-game counter versus the Xfire counter...

If u dont like fraps u can try this:

http://www.wegame.com/

Its an alternative of FRAPS...

EDIT: I just tried it and it doesnt show fps... -_- only displays a green dot when idle and red one when recording. Sry :smack:

Edited by PingoPongo