Case Fan Holes

before i get into destroying my son's and my own case ,i need to modify my cable modem .i plan on putting 3 60mm fans,1 blowing in and 2 exhausting(this is a variation of a mod by robert from hitehmods.com,cable modem mod).heat sinks will come a bit later when i can find them cheap in my area (montreal,any suggestions?)and no led's,taleast not yet,lol.

anyways ,to get to the point ,i noticed that most people cutting round holes in their cases use a jig saw.i don't own one,but i have a drill ,hence the idea of using a hole saw.i went down to my local hardware super store and started salivating when i saw the size of the display case of hole saws,you can find any size hole saw for what ever fan size you desire.

to do the mod the first thing you would naturally have to do is mark where you want your fan ,mark the center point ,drill a pilot hole for the pilot drill of the hole saw and cut away.naturally i would not omit taping off the area you are cutting into,and try not to spin the drill at a high rpm so as not to overheat your case and discolor the paint surrounding the hole,maybe even using a light oil of some kind to help the in the saw a bit(wd-40 works great for aluminium,should also help alot for steel if that is the case material,i'm a machinist by trade,it does help ,trust me).deburring of the hole can be done with a half rounded file (in steel you might get a big burr,and it may demand a bit more effort than if you would use a jig saw but youre hole is perfectly round!hence less dorking around with a dremel,i hate deburring but i hate trying to make a round hole out of some monstrosity that could be done with a jig saw when you are not used to working with one!)

once i've tried out my theory on my cable modem and see the result ,i'll attack the afore mentioned cases.(granted that the case of the modem is plastic ,the end result should quite similar,did some machining of plastics too).

i'll look around to borrow a camera to post some pics.

sorry to be so long winded,but people tell me that's the way i am.i'd be very interested in hearing from others that may have had the same idea,using a hole saw instead of a jig saw,with detailed step by step process.

I used a hole saw for my 6 case cuts. Worked great - make sure you have a powerful, preferrable corded, drill. I marked the case by putting a fan grill as a spacer and tapped a divit in the center with a nail and hammer (don't really need a pilot hole due to the arbor). Then drill away. Still need to debur the edge though.

I don't know the size for a 60mm fan, but take the grill or fan into the hardware store with you and use it as a guide. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,just got my internet back after 6 days.my isp has labour problems with the technicians,they have been on strike for 3 months now and have been resorting to terroristic tactics by cutting fiber optic lines all over the province,bastards(sorry for the profanity but it had to come out).

ok,back to the fun stuff.i have one fan bringing air into the unit and the other two are evacuating.i believe this setup to be the most efficient,after all,the idea is to get the heat out.

yeah,the burner is wonderful,no coasters! :D