1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080

Verran

YMMV :P

Honestly, that's what I'm afraid of! :lol: I don't want to buy a monitor and find out it doesn't do what you guys are talking about. But Waco's saying it should be inherent in the drivers, so that's fine for me. I know that my 1080p TV for my HTPC gives several options of how to handle the aspect ratios, but I've never tried gaming on it. Also, I'm kind of skeptical as to whether most LCD monitors will have as robust a feature set as a high end big-screen TV.

It seems to me that it's logical for computer monitors to move over to the 1080p standard. From the A/V-junky standpoint, I think 1080p will be "the" standard for quite some time. Having monitors on that bandwagon seems to make a lot of sense. So hopefully support for computers and 1080p will only improve with time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've had a 16x9 resolution for a while...newer games it's not a problem with 1080p. One thing you can do is download the users manual before you buy. And see if it has the scaling features that you want :) Personally, I haven't used my graphics card to scale, mainly because I haven't needed it. I really only notice it nowadays when I'm in BIOS (which seems to run at 1400x1050...with very slight bars at the top and bottom, and big ones on the side).

I would assume that pretty much every game nowadays (and on into the future) supports 16:9 and 16:10, right? I love my 1920x1200 and havent ever had issues with games not supporting that resolution, except NHL 09 which doesnt allow widescreen period. So I dont think you can go wrong either way.

so I guess 1920x1200 is outta the question?

Not necessarily, but it's generally more expensive so if 1080 will perform adequately I'd rather go that route and save the money.

My 16:9 display uses a 1680x1050 resolution and I have had zero problems so far. I even pop in StarCraft every now and then ...granted the movies look grainy as hell now but what typically happens on older games is that it auto-formats the resolution to support the game. Then my monitor bawks at me for not running at Native Resolution, I tell it to shut up and life is good. :)

It should be noted that you keep your windows settings for your resolution.

I don't think I'll go back to a standard monitor as my main monitor.

I don't really have a budget yet. It's not on any particular timeline, I'm just trying to get a feel for my options.

Originally I had been looking for a 24" because that's pretty much the minimum size for 1920x1200, which was really the only option I had considered at the time. While looking around, I discovered many good deals on 1920x1080 monitors and at first I was just dismissing them because it wasn't what I thought I wanted. Now I've seen enough good deals on them to spark an interest, hence my curiosity about intricacies of 1080p gaming.

As an example, there's a slickdeals listing today for Dell 23" and 21.5" for $142 and $169 respectively, but both are 1920x1080.

@Turo: So for example, you say Vice City didn't cooperate with bigger resolutions. So what was the solution? You said it didn't play with black bars, so did you just set it to a lower res and it automatically stretched? I'd be fine with that if that was the case. (I think. The stretching could potentially look weird, but probably tolerable for older games.)

I think I actually set it for a 3:4 aspect ratio, and it stretched across the 1920. I tend to prefer larger, stretched images over smaller, non-stretched screens. (ie. I like to use as many of my monitor's pixels as it will allow.) Plus it makes the cars look cooler lol.

I generally dislike the black bars because it feels like it restricts my field of vision, but you may like them more than I.