Sign in to follow this  
Verran

1920x1200 vs. 1920x1080

I have to admit, I've still never owned a widescreen monitor. I still have a 20.1" at 1600x1200 which has done just fine. Now I'm thinking about a new monitor so I can move my current one down the line and replace my giant 22" CRT. I figure if I'm buying something new, it might as well be 1920 res.

There's a lot of monitors that are 1920x1080 (1080p) for decent prices, but is it worth it? I know people had trouble with some older games when the widescreen thing first hit. Will it be the same with 16:9 ratios, or is there nothing to worry about?

To those gaming on their TVs at 1080p, how's it going? Any game compatibility problems between older games and newer aspect ratios? If the game puts up a fuss, can you still game at 4:3 with black bars?

Any feedback would be appreciated. This isn't something I'm necessarily in a hurry to do, but the itch is starting :)

I have to admit, I've still never owned a widescreen monitor. I still have a 20.1" at 1600x1200 which has done just fine. Now I'm thinking about a new monitor so I can move my current one down the line and replace my giant 22" CRT. I figure if I'm buying something new, it might as well be 1920 res.

There's a lot of monitors that are 1920x1080 (1080p) for decent prices, but is it worth it? I know people had trouble with some older games when the widescreen thing first hit. Will it be the same with 16:9 ratios, or is there nothing to worry about?

To those gaming on their TVs at 1080p, how's it going? Any game compatibility problems between older games and newer aspect ratios? If the game puts up a fuss, can you still game at 4:3 with black bars?

Any feedback would be appreciated. This isn't something I'm necessarily in a hurry to do, but the itch is starting :)

I have an Asus VW246H its a 24inch Full HD monitor with the resolution of 1920x1080, it looks quite good on games and being the 16:9 ratio it doesnt make any difference in terms of gameplay, older games didnt seem to have an issue with either (well the few times i have played older games anyways)

i got viewsonic 23.6 inch Full HD!! really nice.. love it..... can play crysis smoothly in high with 8800GT

I'm partial to 1920x1200 as it gives you the best of both worlds (computer and media) whereas 16:9 is more designed for media.

I suppose that for desktop work, a 1920x1200 (or whatever it is) would be nice, but then again so would 2560x1600. basically, the bigger the better for "work" stuff. As for gaming, I LOVE playing games at 1920x1080. It's like watching a movie. The only "old" games i've ever had a problem resolution-wise, is HALO (first one for PC) and GTA vice city, but both problems were from the game not supporting large enough resolutions. I don't think i've ever seen a game that you could run with black bars, unless it was a cut scene. Mine all just stretch across the screen.

Hope this helps!

@Turo: So for example, you say Vice City didn't cooperate with bigger resolutions. So what was the solution? You said it didn't play with black bars, so did you just set it to a lower res and it automatically stretched? I'd be fine with that if that was the case. (I think. The stretching could potentially look weird, but probably tolerable for older games.)

it's just 16:9 vs 16:10 and i still haven't noticed black bars on 1080 because most movies are 2:35 aspect which will give any screen bars.

Edited by hornybluecow

I'm playing FEAR on a 1080p. The default graphic options dont support 1080p so I'm running it at 1600x1200 with black bars on the sides. (you can edit a config file to force 1080p res, but meh). My screen allows me to specify whether a signal is 16:9 or 4:3 and puts the black bars accordingly.

I can count on one hand the number of games that actually give me "problems" in 1080p (IE: they don't support the resolution). I actually like the wider aspect ratio of 16:9. Anything that doesn't support widescreen I just center and scale (old games mostly).

Edited by Waco

Center and scale? Is that bars, or stretch? Also, is that a feature of the TV/monitor, or in the drivers? IE: Is this something anyone should be able to do?

The ATI and nVidia drivers will do it natively. Center and scale keeps the aspect ratio and scales it up to the native resolution.

Some monitors can do it as well but the scaler on your GPU is probably far better than any that comes in a monitor.

1080p here. If a game won't play at my resolution, the HDTV will scale however you tell it to (stretch, dot by dot, etc). I run dot by dot 100%, which means, if a game runs at 1024 by 768, it'll just use those pixels in the center. LCD monitors should have similar options (maybe not as many, but YMMV :P)