SSDs

IVIYTH0S

they're the same price as what I can get them on ebay new for lol. The MIR one is an OCZ Core series, I was almost about to soil myself thinking I could get a 60gb vertex for 140 dollars. good thing I can read. (i think the vertex's are marginally cheaper though, so good find none the less)

I'm sorry, I meant to type core. :(

I don't have Caviar Black's at home, but run some at work (640's). I am about to buy an 80GB Intel X25-M and most likely pair this with the Caviar Black 640GB. However, this morning I was reading a review of the new Seagate 1TB 7200.12 drives just out, on the TechReport which only has 2 500GB platters and looks good, so I may now go for this. They don't seem to be available yet in the UK from my normal suppliers, so may wait and read a few more reviews. Promising though, quiet, low power consumption and for me maybe a better buy. Whatever happens it will still be an Intel SSD, just the storage drive choice to make, but I really like Caviar Black's from using them at work, especially the 640's.

I know the Intels are pricey, but with the latest firmware they are now a considerably better performer than the Vertex. I suppose OCZ may well update their firmware too, but the Intel still performs better overall IMO. It's a close call mind you, as those Vertex's are the next best thing and do offer much better value.

Reading that review did not really pump me up for that drive. The low power usage and low noise level was looking nice but actual performance was way too varied for my taste. I prefer a consistent performer compared to one that is ON TOP one second and then BOTTOM OF THE BARREL the next second. After reading that review I'd recommend a 7200.11 before I'd recommend a 7200.12.

I still find it crazy that Veloci can utilize more CPU yet still be fairly low on the power/noise ratio all things considered.

Honestly I'm still seeing it as a battle between the Caviar Blacks and the 7200.11 for the 7200 RPM drives. I chose the Caviar Black because while it never leads anything, it is just flat out consistent in everything. For those who want to go "green" (less noise/power) I think the WD Green was a more consistent performer.

Far as SSDs go, if I were to buy one I'd go Intel, and I really want an SSD. But such is the price of early adopters, you pay more of a premium price. So I'm just going to hold out till they are more feasible price and/or the technology becomes more mature.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading that review did not really pump me up for that drive. The low power usage and low noise level was looking nice but actual performance was way too varied for my taste. I prefer a consistent performer compared to one that is ON TOP one second and then BOTTOM OF THE BARREL the next second. After reading that review I'd recommend a 7200.11 before I'd recommend a 7200.12.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree there - on reflection I keep going back to the Blacks - we have never had a problem with them in the office, but from 10 WD Green Powers we have had for 2 months, 1 has already gone back to WD. All our Blacks, which have been purchased at different times have never let us down and they run 24/7. They have a 5 year warranty for a reason I reckon, WD have more confidence in their longevity.

I flat out don't like the GreenPower Caviars, the Blacks I can respect and admire but the Greens are just lousy for the money spent, there's no reason that the 1.5TB Greenpower which is slower than the Seagate, should be much more expensive. and don't get me started on the 2TB GreenPower :D.

as for the SSDs, I still don't think I'm ready for them. I'd gladly spend a little more money on a drive that I won't have to pamper to work hard for me, sure I could get an Intel with an updated firmware but that drive isn't just a little more money :rolleyes: . So for now I think I may sit back on the bleachers and cheer on OCZ and Intel as they fight to earn my business.

So for now I think I may sit back on the bleachers and cheer on OCZ and Intel as they fight to earn my business.

That sounds like a plan Stan! And good for both Intel and OCZ who are it seems fighting for the best firmware to tame the anomalies of their current SSD's. I reckon when they have perfected that, the prices will creep down as they won't need to spend quite as much time and money on researching that particular area and concentrate on other elements.