SSDs

IVIYTH0S

All Vertex drives have 64MB of cache. The speed difference is because of the NAND density.

Damn Praz, I wish you posted more often like you used to. Miss that wealth of knowledge. Now it's just out of the blue 1 liners. :( I'll take those over no posts though!

I wish I could afford the 2 60GB in raid. I may get two in raid since it's actually beneficial, it should be like 20-30 dollars more than just getting one 60GB. Do you all think it'd be quickly justified or should I just go for the solo Vertex?

Someone on this board said they were running two SSDs in RAID 0 and didn't think the performance gain justified the price. I am willing to guess that unless you are doing a lot of HDD writing/reading you won't really notice the gain too much.

I've run two Raptors (not Veloci) and now two Caviar Blacks in RAID 0 and I really did not see a real world difference between the two setups. I know neither are SSDs, but again I think the key difference is I'm not really taxing my system hard enough for access times.

I don't miss the lifestyle where I have to clean my OS drive every couple weeks. And in the case of 60GB it will certainly be like every week to every day lol

Why do you need to clean a 60GB HDD every week if you are dedicating it soley to the O/S and Programs? :blink:

You have to be storing more than just O/S and Programs to feel a 300GB hdd is needed for an O/S drive - like LOTS of music and movies. If you threw all that crap on a storage drive you'd be fine. Seriously tho, how are you chewing through so much space so fast?

I'd probably do 1 SSD for O/S and Programs and then have storage drive(s) vs running two SSDs in RAID0, simply for the price aspect. Though if you can afford it, go bananas.

Edited by Fogel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone on this board said they were running two SSDs in RAID 0 and didn't think the performance gain justified the price.

Well the big thing for this is the price difference is very small but the speeds would be noticeably higher since he's comparing 2 small drives versus 1 larger one.

This summer I'll be doing the tests myself once I start getting my paychecks from LANL. :lol:

I'd probably do 1 SSD for O/S and Programs and then have storage drive(s) vs running two SSDs in RAID0, simply for the price aspect. Though if you can afford it, go bananas.

This would defiantly be what I would recommend as well. I have used a system set-up just like this and am about to source the same for myself, with an Intel X25-M and a WD Caviar Black drive for data storage. It's the most sensible combination at present, based on price/performance.

Edited by Great_Gig

This would defiantly be what I would recommend as well. I have used a system set-up just like this and am about to source the same for myself, with an Intel X25-M and a WD Caviar Black drive for data storage. It's the most sensible combination at present, based on price/performance.

I do have 2 storage drives, what size Caviar Black are you running. I would only run one of them if I went the 7200rpm OS drive route. They are too expensive for storage though, If it was a one SSD and one storage drive it would be a OCZ Vertex 60GB and Hitachi 1TB or Seagate 1.5TB

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/DeepSearch_v2.a...p;PID=HDSSD-OCZ

best deal i seen atm on the ocz vertex and since you don't mind MIRs, knock yourself out!

they're the same price as what I can get them on ebay new for lol. The MIR one is an OCZ Core series, I was almost about to soil myself thinking I could get a 60gb vertex for 140 dollars. good thing I can read. (i think the vertex's are marginally cheaper though, so good find none the less)

I do have 2 storage drives, what size Caviar Black are you running. I would only run one of them if I went the 7200rpm OS drive route. They are too expensive for storage though, If it was a one SSD and one storage drive it would be a OCZ Vertex 60GB and Hitachi 1TB or Seagate 1.5TB

I don't have Caviar Black's at home, but run some at work (640's). I am about to buy an 80GB Intel X25-M and most likely pair this with the Caviar Black 640GB. However, this morning I was reading a review of the new Seagate 1TB 7200.12 drives just out, on the TechReport which only has 2 500GB platters and looks good, so I may now go for this. They don't seem to be available yet in the UK from my normal suppliers, so may wait and read a few more reviews. Promising though, quiet, low power consumption and for me maybe a better buy. Whatever happens it will still be an Intel SSD, just the storage drive choice to make, but I really like Caviar Black's from using them at work, especially the 640's.

I know the Intels are pricey, but with the latest firmware they are now a considerably better performer than the Vertex. I suppose OCZ may well update their firmware too, but the Intel still performs better overall IMO. It's a close call mind you, as those Vertex's are the next best thing and do offer much better value.

Edited by Great_Gig

I don't have Caviar Black's at home, but run some at work (640's). I am about to buy an 80GB Intel X25-M and most likely pair this with the Caviar Black 640GB. However, this morning I was reading a review of the new Seagate 1TB 7200.12 drives just out, on the TechReport which only has 2 500GB platters and looks good, so I may now go for this. They don't seem to be available yet in the UK from my normal suppliers, so may wait and read a few more reviews. Promising though, quiet, low power consumption and for me maybe a better buy. Whatever happens it will still be an Intel SSD, just the storage drive choice to make, but I really like Caviar Black's from using them at work, especially the 640's.

I know the Intels are pricey, but with the latest firmware they are now a considerably better performer than the Vertex. I suppose OCZ may well update their firmware too, but the Intel still performs better overall IMO. It's a close call mind you, as those Vertex's are the next best thing and do offer much better value.

ya hope I didn't seem to be attacking you, I wasn't saying the Caviars are good drives, just there are some cheaper alternatives (but didn't know you weren't in america so what could be a deal here could be the most expensive there). How much more are the Intels over the OCZs over there (you don't have to convert the currency, I can convert it myself :D)

I'd definelty raid-0 them, and make sure you put your temp internet files, and any temporary file for that matter and maybe even the page file (if you really want one) on another drive. Best results have been to create a ram drive if you have enough ram, and point all the temporary folders there. Maybe this has already been mentioned, I didn't read the whole thread. Lots of info and tricks to make, even the earlier models run really really good, over at ocz forums. Mine run really awesome and I load stuff super quick and when gaming I'm always the first into any zone.

ya hope I didn't seem to be attacking you, I wasn't saying the Caviars are good drives, just there are some cheaper alternatives (but didn't know you weren't in america so what could be a deal here could be the most expensive there). How much more are the Intels over the OCZs over there (you don't have to convert the currency, I can convert it myself :D)

lol :huh: now I'm really confused (must be going senile!) never even entered my head you were having a pop at me . . . . and yep you are right the Blacks have got cheaper alternatives, but the price diff is OK here and I like the 5 year warranty, so don't mind paying a bit extra for that. In fact that makes quite a difference to the choice.

As for the price difference on the Intel, it's around

Edited by Great_Gig