SSDs

IVIYTH0S

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could test yourself (and post results) if you got two of them. ;)

At the same time I could apply the SLI/Crossfire mentality (that I usually advise others not to practice) and get the 60GB now, and then in the future when the price drops, then pop another in. :D

booooo

pull the trigger, get them both now! you KNOW how that mentality works for everyone else

Yeah but I remember how much I hated running RAID plus I want to make sure this is what I want. I will sure miss my 300gb's of the Veloci. I like having the 200GB's extra for dumping when I need to. I never really want smaller than a 300-320GB OS drive anymore just because it's such a great size, plus I'm looking to get a 1.5TB to replace my almost full 750GB, it's sad because the 750GB has been with me a while. I get too attached to my computer components. I just got like 4 old IDE drives and one SATA from a friend. the 80GB Western Digital SATA drive works and so does the 40GB ancient Hitachi IDE. I have a 160GB Hitachi IDE that half works, in that it fails my drive tests but when I copy stuff to it, it's fine. I just don't trust it, the one folder I copied over became corrupt and then the second one didn't so I don't know whether to scrap it or just have it as a backup of a backup.

Well, tbh my current setup is the only striped RAID I've ever done, and I think a major difference between mine and a lot of other people who have tried it is, I have a seperate PCI-E RAID controller card. I went that route instead of getting a new board because I dont want to rebuild the RAID if I ever do need a new board and am forced to switch RAID controllers. My experience with this PNY card has been zero horror. I wouldnt say its been any harder to set up than installing a new video card. So that may be something to think about for you... a controller card and the SSDs... so long as the SSD transfer rate doesnt exceed the PCI-E capabilities.

Well, tbh my current setup is the only striped RAID I've ever done, and I think a major difference between mine and a lot of other people who have tried it is, I have a seperate PCI-E RAID controller card. I went that route instead of getting a new board because I dont want to rebuild the RAID if I ever do need a new board and am forced to switch RAID controllers. My experience with this PNY card has been zero horror. I wouldnt say its been any harder to set up than installing a new video card. So that may be something to think about for you... a controller card and the SSDs... so long as the SSD transfer rate doesnt exceed the PCI-E capabilities.

I know that but that will add into the cost which is already exorbitant, amount for money for a harddrive.

Yea, but it would be fun... :D

so would an i7 and a 30" monitor, but I digress. :rolleyes:

I don't miss the lifestyle where I have to clean my OS drive every couple weeks. And in the case of 60GB it will certainly be like every week to every day lol

What do you mean? 60 GB is enough to install the few things that you actually use often. Things you don't use often you can throw on another (regular) drive.

What do you mean? 60 GB is enough to install the few things that you actually use often. Things you don't use often you can throw on another (regular) drive.

I guess so, I'll have to see once I get my new 1.5tb. Then I'll have storage galore (1TB I have, and the 750GB i'll keep until I make sure the 1.5TB is trustworthy then I'll sell that.) I have this is little 80GB Caviar my friend had sitting in his room for a backup OS drive while I try and sell off my Veloci. Just want to make sure my storage is in check

im waiting for the 250GB SSDs to come down to ~$200...that 250 Vertex tickles my fancy but not for $750. i cant do anything less than 250GB... ~30 for OS b/c i use the desktop like a quick temp folder, ~150 for games, 10 for applications, and the rest for My Docs (pics/docs/download exe's/random crap). Music, TV shows, ISOs, etc would go on my 750 or maybe swap that to my server for an older WD 500.

god damn i want one so bad...wont be in my price range for a year lol

im waiting for the 250GB SSDs to come down to ~$200...that 250 Vertex tickles my fancy but not for $750. i cant do anything less than 250GB... ~30 for OS b/c i use the desktop like a quick temp folder, ~150 for games, 10 for applications, and the rest for My Docs (pics/docs/download exe's/random crap). Music, TV shows, ISOs, etc would go on my 750 or maybe swap that to my server for an older WD 500.

god damn i want one so bad...wont be in my price range for a year lol

I agree, I like to dump all my apps and games onto my OS drive to have them ready whenever. I don't actually NEED them all there, just LIKE them.