LCH

power supply question

Hey,

I'm a first time poster here as well, and I have a rather similar question...

My computer that I finished building a matter of months ago has failed me (motherboard failure) and gave me an awesome excuse to buy heaps of new crap. So, I've gone and bought up a Striker II extreme mobo, 4 gig of DDR3, and 2 9800GT's (before you ask, I'm an australian apprentice, and that means i earn AUS$300 a week) simply to give my computer a decent performance upgrade. But, I've been told that with the 2 video cards, I'm going to need a 1000W+ power supply, which I'm honestly rather dubios about beleiving.

Can I get a general idea of how big a PSU I'm going to need? This is a full list of whats in the system:

Intel E8400, Asus Striker II Extreme, 2x 9800GT 512, 2 DVD R/RW, floppy drive, in an Antec 900 case.

Any help here would be awesome

-Pariah

Whoever said you need a 1KW psu is a retard. You could run that on a 500w easily. I'd go with a 600-650w if possible though.

I thought he might be pulling my left leg lol.

Maybe it was because he works at a computer store and gets paid comission...

So my 550w Thermaltake power supply should be able to handle it?

If not, I'm thinking about a Tagan BZ1100?

Whoever said you need a 1KW psu is a retard. You could run that on a 500w easily. I'd go with a 600-650w if possible though.

word. My rig, with one 8800GT (which is basically the same as your 9800GT) pulls about 350w at full tilt. So yours would be just fine on a 5-600w PSU.

EDIT: yeah, that thermaltake will do just fine.

Edited by Turophiliac

I guess the idea of getting a 1kw psu is overrated eh.. Hmm.. One question would a 750w by Thermaltake power 2 gtx 260..?

Hey...

So, I went on ahead and built all of this stuff...

BUT

Overclocking by any significant amount causes system instability (BSOD) and lockups whenever I'm gaming for any significant amount of time, and to touch the power supply is actually pretty damn uncomfortable (it gets pretty warm, even under idle), so I'm hoping that it would be a power supply issue? Not anything to do with the motherboard itself?

I just need some clarification..

Thanks

Edited by Pariah43

As far as i know.. Power supply won't have that much impact on temps.. Unless there's very bad airflow in the case which could increase ambient temps leading to a rise in other temps including the mobo..

tagan abs 800watt.. xigmatek 850w.. silverstone DA850.. corsair tx 850 for non modular...

Hey...

So, I went on ahead and built all of this stuff...

BUT

Overclocking by any significant amount causes system instability (BSOD) and lockups whenever I'm gaming for any significant amount of time, and to touch the power supply is actually pretty damn uncomfortable (it gets pretty warm, even under idle), so I'm hoping that it would be a power supply issue? Not anything to do with the motherboard itself?

I just need some clarification..

Thanks

I presume this is with the 550W Thermaltake? It's hard to say whether it's the motherboard, CPU, power supply etc., but a good start would a new power supply. You could be pulling up to 400W so the Thermaltake 550W should be OK. It's kinda worrying when you say the power supply case gets pretty damn uncomfortable even at idle. How's your case airflow? Can you see the power supply fan rotating and does it ramp up when you start loading?

Cheers

Paul

Yeah the fan in the PSU(ThermalTake 550W) runs fine. Case airflow is fine, and temps on the motherboard and such are pretty standard, its just the PSU that heats up pretty bad. If it is the power supply, how good are Tagans BZ series in the 900-1100W area? Cos I think I'm going to be looking at some case lighting and such (As long as the partner doesn't find out...

Edited by Pariah43

Yeah the fan in the PSU(ThermalTake 550W) runs fine. Case airflow is fine, and temps on the motherboard and such are pretty standard, its just the PSU that heats up pretty bad. If it is the power supply, how good are Tagans BZ series in the 900-1100W area? Cos I think I'm going to be looking at some case lighting and such (As long as the partner doesn't find out...

Not personally a fan of Tagan and quite a few reviews report satisfactory performance but poor build quality.

Take a look at the OCC Recommended Power Supply List, something around 750W would be more than enough with room to spare.

Cheers

Paul