Solar Enrgy from Space

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like they have a few of the kinks worked out...

I guess I've heard of inductive coupling before, that is more short range as of now (from what I've gathered) but what about the solar energy that this thread was started on?

Miles and miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of open space between the orbiting solar arrays and the receiver...

So obviously it wont be inductive coupling...

You need a very highly focused beam for this to work. We can beam power now, but it takes more power in than it puts out. Current antennas broadcast in all directions; therefore, all of the waves going to other places than the receiver(s) is wasted. If they can focus the beam enough, I could see this as a possibility. However, it just seems that it would cost so much to put it up there that it wouldn't be worth it.

You need a very highly focused beam for this to work. We can beam power now, but it takes more power in than it puts out. Current antennas broadcast in all directions; therefore, all of the waves going to other places than the receiver(s) is wasted. If they can focus the beam enough, I could see this as a possibility. However, it just seems that it would cost so much to put it up there that it wouldn't be worth it.

I, Robot talks about this very thing.

they also produce a very large amount of heat.

Sounds like a cool idea to me if they can make the system efficient enough. For all those confused about it, think of it in much much simpler terms. Radio waves = light we cant see. Shooting a radio laser from a satellite to earth doesnt add any energy to the planet because all that light was going to hit earth anyways. On the recieving end, imagine a gigantic solar panel, except this one is sensitive to light we cant see. The atmosphere doesnt absorb radio EM energy nearly as good as it does, say, UV or visible. Same goes for people, which is why radio is so popular, theres nothing harmful about it until you're being blasted by jillion watt radio lasers, so the only downside to the idea is if someone decides to go sit on the collector that the satellite is shooting at.

But the earth is still spinning and whatnot last time I checked so I'm quite interested in how we will not only collect it in space but then transfer it through the earth or the sun itself to a miniscule moving target. I would most definatly like to see their calibration methods :lol: I'd love to see them miss the first few times lol

But the earth is still spinning and whatnot last time I checked so I'm quite interested in how we will not only collect it in space but then transfer it through the earth or the sun itself to a miniscule moving target. I would most definatly like to see their calibration methods :lol: I'd love to see them miss the first few times lol

Geostationary satellites...

The only disadvantage to that, is they'll have a typical diurnal solar cycle like we do down here. Ok, maybe not the only...but it is a disadvantage :P

Edited by Crazy_Nate