Solar Enrgy from Space

I think what he was referring to was wireless power.

I wasn't aware that energy could be sent as a radio wave and collected as power, the machinery needed to collect the waves needs power itself...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm imagining something out of a James Bond movie...that involves a lot of diamonds. :lol:

Lol, I remember that movie.

Lol @ the part when he sees the guy with diamonds in face and he says "you have a sparkling personality." Lololol.

I was naively hoping that the green power of the future would be decentralized, not just another centralized highly vulnerable source that makes a chosen few very wealthy.

Shall we start taking bets on how long it lasts (if it even comes into existence) before they get sued out of existence for killing/harming animals and/or people? I just don't see sending all those rf waves to earth as a good idea.

Shall we start taking bets on how long it lasts (if it even comes into existence) before they get sued out of existence for killing/harming animals and/or people? I just don't see sending all those rf waves to earth as a good idea.

We do it right now with radio waves anyway - this is just an extension of it. More crap flies through the air because of cell phones than this will introduce.

We do it right now with radio waves anyway - this is just an extension of it. More crap flies through the air because of cell phones than this will introduce.

So as long as there is already some, more is OK?

I didn't really pay attention to anyones posts because they are basically smilies. The ability to get power from radio waves already exists, it's actually seemingly simple. You get an antenna to collect the waves and you convert the power to what you need.

In fact, you can do that now with regular radio antenna, it's just that they don't have enough power to do a whole lot.

You know what radio waves are correct? It's just A/C voltage shot out through an antenna.

In laymans terms can someone explain to me how radio signals can just be yanked from the air and turned into power?

Yes I realize that a rf signal is electricity turned into a wave, but can you collect as much you put in?

Is it 100% efficient?

If I run 5,000v at 200a (1,000,000w; 1 megawatt) through a RF transmiter I can then collect that same exact voltage and current from the receiver?

Forgive me if these are completely foolish and noobular questions...

If this is the case why aren't wireless power units more common.

For that matter why don't we have huge RF towers specifically for beaming electricity to homes?