About that new i7 build...

Its worth a shot to check your current BIOS and make sure you have the ethernet cards enabled.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked, they are enabled. Although, when I boot up, it mentions the network device, then says "Disk not found" or something.

Would it matter that I have my boot hard drive plugged into SATA 2 instead of SATA1?

As far as updating my BiOS - I have the latest version of the bios downloaded, but I really don't know how to update my bios. Isn't it dangerous / risky to do so?

Can someone point me to a good / up to date guide to updating a mobo's bios?

Thanks again everybody. I really hope I get this resolved soon. So close to having a sweet computer that it's driving me nuts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use asus update to update BIOS in windows, the program will be on your motherboard drivers disk in the utilities section. Inside Asus update you can either let the program connect to Asus website and find a newer BIOS for you or , if you are certain you downloaded the corrent BIOS file it can use that file you downloaded to flash BIOS. Follow the prompts it is pretty straightforward.

I do want to add that it may not be worth it to flash a new BIOS unless you specifically know it can fix your issue(usually there are notes next to each BIOS about what fixes,enhancements,etc there are).

Just because its newer or someone says the BIOS file is "awesome" doesn't mean you need to flash.

As for your hard drive question and assuming you only are using one hard drive in your PC , it won't matter what sata port you plug it into on your motherboard.

You may want to start a thread in the network forum where you will get more exposure to your problem, I wish I could help more but networks are not my thing.

Good Luck.

You can use asus update to update BIOS in windows, the program will be on your motherboard drivers disk in the utilities section. Inside Asus update you can either let the program connect to Asus website and find a newer BIOS for you or , if you are certain you downloaded the corrent BIOS file it can use that file you downloaded to flash BIOS. Follow the prompts it is pretty straightforward.

I do want to add that it may not be worth it to flash a new BIOS unless you specifically know it can fix your issue(usually there are notes next to each BIOS about what fixes,enhancements,etc there are).

Just because its newer or someone says the BIOS file is "awesome" doesn't mean you need to flash.

As for your hard drive question and assuming you only are using one hard drive in your PC , it won't matter what sata port you plug it into on your motherboard.

You may want to start a thread in the network forum where you will get more exposure to your problem, I wish I could help more but networks are not my thing.

Good Luck.

Thanks anyway Fisher, appreciate the help. Same goes to the other posters here.

You can use ASUS EZ flash in the BIOS under utilitys I think I'll have to look in the BIOS on mine. IT is as simple as can be just download the BIOS file onto the hard drive or a flash drive, selet the drive and file name once in the utility and it will do the rest for you. Once you reboot load setup efaulst and reboot , shut down , clear CMOS restart and install the settings you want and you should be good to go.

Are you sure the ethernet cable is good?

When it said you require elevation, I think it meant an elevated command prompt. When you type cmd into your search bar, either hit CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER or right click the cmd program when it shows up and hit Run As Administrator. That should allow those commands to go through.

Have you tried connecting your computer directly from the modem and removing the router out of the picture? If you haven't, I'd try that before anything else.

Also, do you happen to have DSL for your internet connection? If so, don't forget to install your ISP's crappy software or you won't be able to connect.

I'd probably RMA the board before I flashed with a new bios. I don't see why you would have to do that for a new motherboard fresh out of the box, but its not like Newegg will check to see if you did that before they honor an RMA.

Have you tried connecting your computer directly from the modem and removing the router out of the picture? If you haven't, I'd try that before anything else.

Also, do you happen to have DSL for your internet connection? If so, don't forget to install your ISP's crappy software or you won't be able to connect.

I'd probably RMA the board before I flashed with a new bios. I don't see why you would have to do that for a new motherboard fresh out of the box, but its not like Newegg will check to see if you did that before they honor an RMA.

Thanks for the reply here, as well as the Network forum. I'll check both, so you can pick one place to respond.

Thanks everyone. Still no luck. I'm going to try directly connecting the DSL modem to the computer.

EDIT:

Well, that worked. So I guess that means it's time for a new router, huh?

Edited by LanzaT