About that new i7 build...

Going to try this when I get home. If it works...I will feel like an idiot, but be very very grateful. Thanks for the catch.

It's always something small. I was following this:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=155400

guide. I just re-read it and realized I didn't see the 4/8pin CPU connector part. I didn't do any serious damage to any component by messing this up, I hope?

Also, I showed my woman this thread, and this is what she had to say:

"I think I might love that king fisher guy - his avi is from the rudolf the red nose reindeer xmas cartoon"

Ruh roh.

Also check your ram as well, mine wouldnt boot until i moved all 3 sticks (wouldnt boot with one stick) to the other lot of dimm slots.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I showed my woman this thread, and this is what she had to say:

"I think I might love that king fisher guy - his avi is from the rudolf the red nose reindeer xmas cartoon"

Ruh roh.

Haha, well we are all glad you may have solved your problem, the main reason for the forums is to learn and to help other folks out.

All of us have made some mistakes. My old high school wood shop teacher once said "people who know how to fix mistakes learned from making their own mistakes themselves."

Good luck!

Also check your ram as well, mine wouldnt boot until i moved all 3 sticks (wouldnt boot with one stick) to the other lot of dimm slots.

:withstupid:

X58 are picky with this, every time I had one that wouldn't post, simply swapping the memory to the other set of slots usually worked

Haha, well we are all glad you may have solved your problem, the main reason for the forums is to learn and to help other folks out.

All of us have made some mistakes. My old high school wood shop teacher once said "people who know how to fix mistakes learned from making their own mistakes themselves."

Good luck!

Everything worked fine. Memtest ran a few times, everything is solid. Core Temp says my CPU is hovering at about 30*C at idle. Haven't loaded it yet.

Got another issue - it won't connect to my network. I've tried several different cables, including the cable that I'm using to plug in right now. I managed to find out that my router has 2 dead ports (1 and 3), but all I need are 2 ports. However, neither of the 2 ports work on my router for the new computer, and neither of the ethernet ports on the motherboard work.

On the router (Linksys BEFW11S4 V.2, if it matters), port 2 (where the computer in question is plugged in) blinks in the Link/Act light, but there is no light on the Full/Col spot. The working computer has a blinking Link/Act light (much more activity than the new one), and a solid Full/Col light.

I'm at my wits end. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Could somebody point it out?

Edit:

Since I can't connect it to the network, I'm doing all the stability tests now. Under full load, with no side fan, my GPU runs up to ~83*C and then stabilizes. I managed a slight overclock with Riva Tuner.

Prime95 has been running for 25 minutes right now, and my highest core temp is 52*C. Not too shabby, Noctua.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd love to here them.

Edited by LanzaT

Is this an entirely new build with a new OS and everything? You might not have the drivers installed. Can you plug your comp directly to your modem and see if you get anything?

Is this an entirely new build with a new OS and everything? You might not have the drivers installed. Can you plug your comp directly to your modem and see if you get anything?

Yes, it's an entirely new build. The ethernet ports both show up as installed, and working properly, in Device Manager. OS is Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I thought at first that maybe my router was not compatible with Vista, but the computer I'm posting on is running Vista Premium 64bit, so I don't think that's it. I don't have the router passworded either.

The issue with plugging the DSL straight into the new computer is that I don't remember my Verizon access password, so the only way for the DSL to work is through the router. Unless someone knows how to reset that password?

Hi Lanza,

When you installed x64 Ultimate did you have your ethernet cable connected to the m/b NIC? The reason I ask is that recently I flashed the firmware on my router and afterwards for the life of me almost never got either of my x64 rigs reconnected.

When I originally installed x64 on these two rigs (one laptop and one desktop) I had the ethernet cable connected to the NIC during the installation process and Vista was kind enough to make several network settings during the setup.

What I ended up having to do was force an ip release from the Vista rigs (cmd prompt > ipconfig /release), and then renew the IP addresses (cmd prompt > ipconfig /renew).

After that I went into the Vista Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > Right click on your adapter > Properties > select properties for IPv4 and manually enter in your ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server.

Reboot and you should be golden (assuming your onboard NIC is functioning).

This was just a work around for me, and I'm not proposing it as a permanent fix for everyone. But if this is a desktop that isn't mobile there isn't any harm in setting a static ip address behind a NAT router.

As far as the router password goes, sometimes if you unplug them and depress the reset button and leave it set for a while the password will clear (but then so will all of your settings :() Are you sure the router has password protection enabled? Many times the factory settings of the router aren't password protected unless you configure it after the installation.

i.e. User name is probably "Administrator" and password is nothing (blank)

Edited by wevsspot

Hi Lanza,

When you installed x64 Ultimate did you have your ethernet cable connected to the m/b NIC? The reason I ask is that recently I flashed the firmware on my router and afterwards for the life of me almost never got either of my x64 rigs reconnected.

When I originally installed x64 on these two rigs (one laptop and one desktop) I had the ethernet cable connected to the NIC during the installation process and Vista was kind enough to make several network settings during the setup.

What I ended up having to do was force an ip release from the Vista rigs (cmd prompt > ipconfig /release), and then renew the IP addresses (cmd prompt > ipconfig /renew).

After that I went into the Vista Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > Right click on your adapter > Properties > select properties for IPv4 and manually enter in your ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server.

Reboot and you should be golden (assuming your onboard NIC is functioning).

This was just a work around for me, and I'm not proposing it as a permanent fix for everyone. But if this is a desktop that isn't mobile there isn't any harm in setting a static ip address behind a NAT router.

As far as the router password goes, sometimes if you unplug them and depress the reset button and leave it set for a while the password will clear (but then so will all of your settings :() Are you sure the router has password protection enabled? Many times the factory settings of the router aren't password protected unless you configure it after the installation.

i.e. User name is probably "Administrator" and password is nothing (blank)

Nothing was connected to the new computer when I installed Windows, aside from the PSU power cable and the DVI cable for the monitor. I'll try the rest though. I managed to reset the password. Thanks for the rest!

Lanza,

In order to see your router's Primary and Alternate DNS addresses, you'll need to use the command line switch /a

Example;

ipconfig /all

Thanks for your help so far. I can see no connections made on the new computer (hereafter HAF932), and in manage network connections, it says that neither is plugged in. Device manager reports both ethernet as working properly, but it doesn't recognize anything as plugged in.

I tried plugging in a cable, then setting that port to a static IP using the values I found with ipconfig /all on the old computer (hereafter HUSH). Still nothing.

When I use cmd -> ipconfig /release on the HAF932, it tells me this:

"The requested operation requires elevation."