About that new i7 build...

I posted here a week or two ago about the pros/cons of getting a 295 vs a 275 (my question was actually about my whole build, and boiled down to a 295 vs 2 260s in SLI, but I was recommended to go with just 1 275, which I did).

Items in question:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Core i7 920

eVGA GeForce 275

3x Corsair XMS3 DDR3

Corsair 750w Tough Power PSU (don't remember the exact name, but one that tested well)

Coolermaster HAF 932

Here's the story:

Unbox everything, lay everything out. Put mobo flat on anti-static shield it came with. Install processor. Apply thermal paste. Install heatsink (Noctua N12-UHP or some such, the core i7 Noctua 2 fan heat sink). Plug one CPU fan into CPU_FAN mobo slot, the other CPU fan into CHA_1 fan slot.

Put Power supply in case (mother board is outside of case). Install 1 DIMM of DDR3 ram. Install graphics card. Run 24pin connector to mobo, 2x 6pin connectors to the 275. Plug monitor into the 275.

Plug in and switch on the power supply. Mother board lights up (power and reset buttons). Press power on the motherboard. Both Noctua fans power on. Graphics card does nothing (fan doesn't spin). No signal output to the monitor.

Flick off PSU. Take out the 275, install a (working) 4850 from my existing computer. Plug in PSU, flick on, power on mobo - nothing. Repeat with secondary PCI-E slot. Nothing. Clear CMOS - nothing.

Plugged in some of my case fans - they turn on when I turn the mobo on.

Plugged in the 275 to the existing computer, boots right up, displays everything fine, fan works fine. Put the 4850 back in the existing computer, and it still works (so didn't get fried by putting it in the P6T).

Did I forget anything? What can I do now? I'm thinking the mobo may be DOA? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try another PCIe slot. :)

Sure sounds like, at minimum, a dead slot...

EDIT: I read it too quickly :lol: RMA that motherboard!

Ahhh crap. Thought that's what it'd be. Thanks for the responses. This is my second failed Asus P6T. The first was in a pre-built computer, which I returned. It got damaged during the shipping process. This time, it seems it's just DOA.

God, my luck with computers has been horrendous.

Another quick newbie question - I know I have to clean the thermal paste off my CPU and my Heatsink - what do you guys use to clean it? Also, what do you use to spread it? My friends said to just put a glob in the center, and press the heat sink down to spread it.

Put Power supply in case (mother board is outside of case). Install 1 DIMM of DDR3 ram. Install graphics card. Run 24pin connector to mobo, 2x 6pin connectors to the 275. Plug monitor into the 275.

What about the 8 pin connector that supplies power to the CPU?

I use 90% or better Isopropyl alcohol and white cotton swabs or white cotton balls.

Don't stop cleaning the surface until you don't see any grey residue on the cotton.

I use a plastic baggie wrapped around my index finger. I smear the little grain of rice size blob of thermal coumpound until it forms a thin layer on the heat shield. I

I use 90% or better Isopropyl alcohol and white cotton swabs or white cotton balls.

Don't stop cleaning the surface until you don't see any grey residue on the cotton.

I use a plastic baggie wrapped around my index finger. I smear the little grain of rice size blob of thermal coumpound until it forms a thin layer on the heat shield. I

Ahhhh. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Wait...what? 8 pin connector to the CPU? Where does that go? Holy crap, did I make a rookie error here?

Edited by LanzaT

The glob-squish method is what I usually use, because the cores of the proc are aligned with the center of the IHS, so having properly applied TIM out at the edges of the chip is pretty much irrelevant... however spreading it all out gives you a thinner layer of it, which is better for cooling, so its a bit better to do the Kingfisher method. As far as cleaning goes... I'll get made fun of for this, but on Newegg they sell Arctic Cooling TIM remover for a few dollars, it works amazingly. The first stuff actually dissolves the TIM so it all just wipes off, and the second bottle is isopropyl alcohol to make the IHS look shiny and brand new... you cant tell there ever was TIM on the chip with that stuff.

power_conn2.jpg

The white connector in bottom right

Holy crap. I did *not* plug that guy in. In the picture, I see a black cap on 4 of the slots - remove that, then plug in the 8pin connector?

If you saved me from having to RMA the board because of my newbie error, I will be eternally grateful.

Going to try this when I get home. If it works...I will feel like an idiot, but be very very grateful. Thanks for the catch.

Yes, if your power supply has the 8 pinEPS connector, take off the black cap and plug her in.

Praz is a sharp guy, he has saved a lot of headaches for a lot of folks through the years.

It's always something small. I was following this:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=155400

guide. I just re-read it and realized I didn't see the 4/8pin CPU connector part. I didn't do any serious damage to any component by messing this up, I hope?

Also, I showed my woman this thread, and this is what she had to say:

"I think I might love that king fisher guy - his avi is from the rudolf the red nose reindeer xmas cartoon"

Ruh roh.

Edited by LanzaT