Sign in to follow this  
greengiant912

Star Trek (2009)

Finally saw this movie. My humble opinion... utter dreck. The worst Star Trek anything, movie or TV episode, that I've ever seen.

What's wrong with it? I don't even know where to start... I could just sit and poke holes in it endlessly. I personally think the franchise will have a hard time recovering from this installment.

I'd rather have watched "Spock's Brain" three times in a row. I love all things Star Trek but, this movie was the worst thing I've paid to sit through in quite some time. :angry2: I gotta hurry and see another movie to get the taste out of my mouth. YUK!

Finally saw this movie. My humble opinion... utter dreck. The worst Star Trek anything, movie or TV episode, that I've ever seen.

What's wrong with it? I don't even know where to start... I could just sit and poke holes in it endlessly. I personally think the franchise will have a hard time recovering from this installment.

I'd rather have watched "Spock's Brain" three times in a row. I love all things Star Trek but, this movie was the worst thing I've paid to sit through in quite some time. :angry2: I gotta hurry and see another movie to get the taste out of my mouth. YUK!

As this is the internet, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. If it's the former, you're the first person I've spoken to that has said anything negative about this movie, both in here and IRL. Are you sure the theater showed you the correct film? :lol:

As this is the internet, it's hard to tell if you're being serious or sarcastic. If it's the former, you're the first person I've spoken to that has said anything negative about this movie, both in here and IRL. Are you sure the theater showed you the correct film? :lol:

100% serious. I hated it... and I tried really hard not to.

And about the theater showing me the correct movie? I've wondered the same thing when other Star Trek fans say they liked it! haha!

100% serious. I hated it... and I tried really hard not to.

And about the theater showing me the correct movie? I've wondered the same thing when other Star Trek fans say they liked it! haha!

It was way more rounded and shiny than the original TOS but it was nowhere near being a bad movie. Maybe you just didn't like the fact that the movie created a new "reality" instead of trying to stay faithful to the old one and serving as a true prequel. But at least it was WAY better than Final Frontier and Nemesis.

AWESOME movie. Not sure how anyone could think this movie was bad. The action was good, the special effects were good, the acting was good, the storyline was good...not sure what else you'd want in a movie.

Although the whole "time travel changes present and future events/people" thing may be considered a cop out by some people (and anger those that believe in the Novikov self-consistency principle), for some reason, I rather liked that, as that basically means they can do whatever they want in future movies without "messing up" the lore. Maybe that'll bother some Trekkies, but since I really enjoyed this movie, of course I want to see more like it.

A few things were a little off for me but I still really enjoyed it.

This really was an awesome movie. I finally had the chance to give it a go, and I'm definitely going to see it again.

Scott was refreshing, as was Spock Prime.

After I see Salvation, it's right back to Trek. :thumbs-up:

I saw this last night and I had very mixed feelings. The first scene on the Kelvin was great. I liked everything about it and it immediately killed my skepticism about the movie. Then when that scene was over, we had the "Corvette" scene, and I kinda wanted to throw up. First of all, whoever decided that putting a Beastie Boys track on the Star Trek soundtrack would be a good idea is a complete moron. MORON. Also, why do futuristic movies insist on dropping current pop-culture icons into their movies as "antiques"? I find that extraordinarily insulting to my intelligence. I thought Star Trek was better than that. Kirk could have just as easily stolen a future-vehicle of some sort and it wouldn't have changed the scene at all.

Another thing I didn't like was the "wildlife" activity on the ice planet. That was 100% gratuitous CGI. It had nothing to do with anything and it just seemed cheesey and dumb to me.

I did really like the new Kirk though. I thought he did great. I liked Sylar as the new Spock and in general I think all of the new characters were good. I liked Sulu but I think it was really lame how they did his "fencing". If you want to show that he's a bad-mofo that's fine but what are the chances that the only two people still dumb enough to carry fold-out swords instead of phasers run into each other on a space-drill AND happen to get paired off to fight?

Overall I'd say it was a decent movie that could have been great. All the stuff that I think ruined it is probably the stuff most of the masses loved though, because they don't want to see a Gene Roddenberry Star Trek, they want to see a Michael Bay Star Trek, and they did. Take out the gratuitous sword fight, car chase and bedroom scene and you'd have yourself a really good movie on your hands, but then it wouldn't be low-IQ enough to sell...

Mic cah bay ex plo sions!!!!

I saw this last night and I had very mixed feelings. The first scene on the Kelvin was great. I liked everything about it and it immediately killed my skepticism about the movie. Then when that scene was over, we had the "Corvette" scene, and I kinda wanted to throw up. First of all, whoever decided that putting a Beastie Boys track on the Star Trek soundtrack would be a good idea is a complete moron. MORON. Also, why do futuristic movies insist on dropping current pop-culture icons into their movies as "antiques"? I find that extraordinarily insulting to my intelligence. I thought Star Trek was better than that. Kirk could have just as easily stolen a future-vehicle of some sort and it wouldn't have changed the scene at all.

Another thing I didn't like was the "wildlife" activity on the ice planet. That was 100% gratuitous CGI. It had nothing to do with anything and it just seemed cheesey and dumb to me.

I did really like the new Kirk though. I thought he did great. I liked Sylar as the new Spock and in general I think all of the new characters were good. I liked Sulu but I think it was really lame how they did his "fencing". If you want to show that he's a bad-mofo that's fine but what are the chances that the only two people still dumb enough to carry fold-out swords instead of phasers run into each other on a space-drill AND happen to get paired off to fight?

Overall I'd say it was a decent movie that could have been great. All the stuff that I think ruined it is probably the stuff most of the masses loved though, because they don't want to see a Gene Roddenberry Star Trek, they want to see a Michael Bay Star Trek, and they did. Take out the gratuitous sword fight, car chase and bedroom scene and you'd have yourself a really good movie on your hands, but then it wouldn't be low-IQ enough to sell...

Man, you sound exactly like me when I saw Halloween two years ago.

I'm not the Trekkie in my family, my mom is so I enjoyed it from a "I know Star Trek, but I don't really know Star Trek" POV. However, I can really understand the criticisms as I've more than openly spat out my opinions on a genre I knew oh-too-much-about.

Edited by r3d c0m3t

One of the things that Star Trek has always lacked was a tie in to our reality. Sure it can be in the future, however they never really showed us glimpses of our present but their future. There was one other Star Trek movie that did this involving wales but we wont go there since people have mixed feelings about that movie :P....

Needless to say I liked the fact that I could kinda see our present but their past in the movie, if that makes any sense.

The car was a classic, and for the music selection they could of definitely found a better track from our era or near our time to play instead...

Anyone catch the Budweiser Reference at the bar (Bud Classic), or how bout the Slusho one :-P

I was amazed at how well the new Kirk pulled off some Shatner type moments, especially in the simulation bridge where he "hacked the program". I was like DAMN! That is exactly how Shatner would of done that scene!

Edited by greengiant912

Take out the bedroom scene and you'd have yourself a really good movie on your hands, but then it wouldn't be low-IQ enough to sell...

I disagree, that bedroom scene was quintessential Kirk :lol: