4870X2 Crossfire Not Recognized Display Adaptor Problem

A few days ago I was sitting at my computer tinkering around and decided that I would turn off crossfire on my computer. I have the Cat 9.3 at this time and everything is hunky dorie. Any hoot I reach over with my mouse and turn the crossfire off and boom I get a message that was something like this: Display adapter not recognized by vga adaptor. I thought that's odd, so I tried to activate crossfire and nope now there is no button there to click. So I go ahead remove the 9.3 reboot; reinstall and guess what? Still doesn't work. So I decide to contact Microsoft, I pay 59 dollars and we spend 3 hours going through windows vista 64 bit and finally determine (I agree with them) that it's not a vista issue its a driver issue of ATI. I then decide to try and install a legacy CAT and driver and it still didn't work. So I call NEWEGG where I purchased these two lovely cards and they actually gave a full refund on these cards. I tell ya they are great. Oh; Microsoft support has no idea how to fix this; I talked to 4 people in India and then they transferred me to a guy state side in Seattle and he and I spent two and a half hours and still we come to the conclusion it's ATI. I installed an old NVIDIA card and that worked fine. In single card 4870X2 it would only recognize one of the GPU's not both. What crap. For almost $1000.00 dollars in video cards you would think it would work correctly. Total Shame. My system is i7 3.2 GHz, ASUS Rampage Extreme, 12 GB Ram Vista 64-bit, and 300G 10k Raid 0 Raptors. And the two wonder cards. After this experience I will never again buy ATI.

Oh question; anybody come up with a fix for this? Minus having to remove Vista and starting all over

You paid for support from MS before doing the obvious boot into safe mode to remove the drivers entirely?

I would have gone through that slightly differently...

A few days ago I was sitting at my computer tinkering around and decided that I would turn off crossfire on my computer. I have the Cat 9.3 at this time and everything is hunky dorie. Any hoot I reach over with my mouse and turn the crossfire off and boom I get a message that was something like this: Display adapter not recognized by vga adaptor. I thought that's odd, so I tried to activate crossfire and nope now there is no button there to click. So I go ahead remove the 9.3 reboot; reinstall and guess what? Still doesn't work. So I decide to contact Microsoft, I pay 59 dollars and we spend 3 hours going through windows vista 64 bit and finally determine (I agree with them) that it's not a vista issue its a driver issue of ATI. I then decide to try and install a legacy CAT and driver and it still didn't work. So I call NEWEGG where I purchased these two lovely cards and they actually gave a full refund on these cards. I tell ya they are great. Oh; Microsoft support has no idea how to fix this; I talked to 4 people in India and then they transferred me to a guy state side in Seattle and he and I spent two and a half hours and still we come to the conclusion it's ATI. I installed an old NVIDIA card and that worked fine. In single card 4870X2 it would only recognize one of the GPU's not both. What crap. For almost $1000.00 dollars in video cards you would think it would work correctly. Total Shame. My system is i7 3.2 GHz, ASUS Rampage Extreme, 12 GB Ram Vista 64-bit, and 300G 10k Raid 0 Raptors. And the two wonder cards. After this experience I will never again buy ATI.

Oh question; anybody come up with a fix for this? Minus having to remove Vista and starting all over

welcome to OCC. What resolution might you be running nemesis?

I get that every so often when pulling cards, even when installing other hardware some times but for mew it has been cured with a reboot and at most a driver clean and install. Try removeing one card completely from the system and rebooting then go back and re insert the card with the crossfire bridge connector in place.

That's not true at all.

How can you make that statement and then not offer any suggestion to solve the problem?

To the OP:

As somebody who just went through this with multiple ati setups, after a very successful 4870 crossfire rig for months, I feel your pain. I had the problem with a 4870x2, then went to 2 4890s in crossfire, all with the same result. I ended up with a gtx295. I'm not a fanboy, either way, but I do like not having to fight to get my rig running.

I have setup and run Crossfire setups since i had a set of 1900XT's and have not had any issues. I have more issues with single cards than i do with multi gpu setups. In fact i jusrt finished playing with CrossfireX setups with 4870x2's and 4850x2's and had absolutely no problems.

How can you make that statement and then not offer any suggestion to solve the problem

I've removed and reinstalled drivers on countless Vista setups without a single problem. That alone is enough to convince me that someone is doing something improperly when they run into trouble.

I've removed and reinstalled drivers on countless Vista setups without a single problem. That alone is enough to convince me that someone is doing something improperly when they run into trouble.

And I did the same thing over 5 times and it still didn't work. I ended up doing a reinstall. I wish they would figure out what the heck is causing this issue cus its apparently only in driver versions 8.11 and later.

I've had 2 crossfire setups that, after some initial setup issues, ran flawlessly for months. I've updated drivers, overclocked, used different utilities to tweak the cards, all with no problems to speak of. That's what frustrates me more than anything else. It seems that nobody has been able to find that common link that causes this problem.

The guy that bought my 4870s, popped them in, loaded the drivers and off he went.

For anyone having the "disabled display adapter" error, I feel your pain. I would feel better if everyone had the problem, because then I would KNOW it wasn't something I was doing wrong. But, enough people are having this problem that it can't just be that we are ALL installing the drivers wrong. Something else is going on here. And ATI wants to blame Microsoft and Microsoft blames ATI. I don't care whose fault it is, just fix it.