720BE and help wiht a new overclocker...

I am pretty new to overclocking and recently upgraded to a new system. I got the gigbyte 790gp-ud4h with the AMD 720BE - 4gb of Gskill PI black ddr2 800. I am running Windows XP 32bit.

I am not gaming, so please keep that in mind.

So far, I have been successful in unlocking the fabled 4th core, with no side effects. I have also OC'd to 3.2, from 2.8, by only adjusting the CPU clock and leaving everything else as-is. I am wondering if I should push it further, and if so, where I should go from here. Is there a good guide, or is someone here willing to help me inch it forward?

thanks!

good stuff the 4th core unlocking and running the 3.2...have you run any stress tests to see if the unlocked core can handle that speed????.....

lots of people have reported, yes, to the 4th core unlockage, stability, however, of the unlocked 4th core is supect more often than not.....obviously, most 720's DO have a defective/under performing 4th core....

anyway, run lots of test to check out the stability @ 3.2.....you may be able to get more with some voltage bumps to the vcore and the NB....obviously, should you decide to go this route you should improve your cooling if presently running the stock cooler, and it is always nice to have real good air blowing on the NB and PWM areas of the MB, just makes for a more pleasant experience....

good luck...

laterzzzzzzzz..................

good stuff the 4th core unlocking and running the 3.2...have you run any stress tests to see if the unlocked core can handle that speed????.....

lots of people have reported, yes, to the 4th core unlockage, stability, however, of the unlocked 4th core is supect more often than not.....obviously, most 720's DO have a defective/under performing 4th core....

anyway, run lots of test to check out the stability @ 3.2.....you may be able to get more with some voltage bumps to the vcore and the NB....obviously, should you decide to go this route you should improve your cooling if presently running the stock cooler, and it is always nice to have real good air blowing on the NB and PWM areas of the MB, just makes for a more pleasant experience....

good luck...

laterzzzzzzzz..................

thanks,

yes I did a 2-hour stablility test via AMD overdrive utility and it seemed fine. I also have been running programs and pretty much doing everything I plan on doing with my system and so far no problems. temps seem cool, too. The case I bought - Antec 300 - has nice circulation including a big 5" fan which happens to blow directly onto the CPU; and then another directly above the CPOU which blows up and out of the case. I plan on adding a couiple more fans, just to keep things cool.

Reading through the 4th core threads, there seems to be a debate over whether AMD turned off the 4th core due to instablity or if they did it to meet the demands of this very popular BE chip. I tend to think a little of both, but I admit at knowing very little about how these things work. But even the "experts" in these forums disagree in their theories, so I doubt anybody really knows.

I will wait until I get better cooling before I try to up the speed any more.

That AMD program isn't very good at picking up faulty overclocks.

Run IntelBurnTest or Prime95 for 8-12 hours at the bare minimum to see if it's stable.

2 hours isn't very long. And there are other programs out there that are better for testing. I don't know them, but they are out there. You want to test for at least 24-hours, just to be safe, especially since you both unlocked the 4th core and are overclocking it.

I am pretty new to overclocking and recently upgraded to a new system. I got the gigbyte 790gp-ud4h with the AMD 720BE - 4gb of Gskill PI black ddr2 800. I am running Windows XP 32bit.

I am not gaming, so please keep that in mind.

So far, I have been successful in unlocking the fabled 4th core, with no side effects. I have also OC'd to 3.2, from 2.8, by only adjusting the CPU clock and leaving everything else as-is. I am wondering if I should push it further, and if so, where I should go from here. Is there a good guide, or is someone here willing to help me inch it forward?

thanks!

i have the exact same processor and mobo...how in the world did you unlock the 4th core? im up to 3.4 by increasing the mulitpiler to 17, ht link to 18, fsb to 202 and cpu voltage is at 1.344v. i suggest getting the sunbeam core contact freezer if you plan on overclocking any further. im running the stress test right now and im at 37 degrees celcius, and the idling temp is around 30

Edited by johnlmartin3

i have the exact same processor and mobo...how in the world did you unlock the 4th core? im up to 3.4 by increasing the mulitpiler to 17, ht link to 18, fsb to 202 and cpu voltage is at 1.344v. i suggest getting the sunbeam core contact freezer if you plan on overclocking any further. im running the stress test right now and im at 37 degrees celcius, and the idling temp is around 30

damn those suckers run cold!

damn those suckers run cold!

Yep. I have mine at 1.5 volts (I didn't feel like tweaking it), 3.4 GHz, and it's using the STOCK Opteron 175 heatsink I had laying around. It never goes over 56 C. :lol:

Yep. I have mine at 1.5 volts (I didn't feel like tweaking it), 3.4 GHz, and it's using the STOCK Opteron 175 heatsink I had laying around. It never goes over 56 C. :lol:

isn't that a lot of volts for that? or did you just set it high for stability's sake?