Media Center question

cdburner5911

So i have a media center computer set up, and I am not sure of exactly what software to use, i was thinking Power DVD 9, but I'm more of asking what is a good ripper, I am going to rip blu-rays and DVDs.

power DVD is supposed to build a library out of ISO files, but using the trial, i have had no luck

less importantly, is there a way to have the library biased interface using AVI files, so i can compress HD movies to not 80 gigs a piece?

Thank you

Connor

Edited by cdburner5911

I'm not really sure what you mean by the "libary" stuff and I'm also not experienced with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray personally, but I can tell you how I do DVDs. You can rip DVDs with programs like CloneDVD2, DVD Shrink or maybe even Nero, ImgBurn or BurnAware, but I've never tried ripping DVDs with those because the first two work fine for me.

Those programs can rip to either .iso format or the VIDEO_TS style file format. I generally do that latter. Once you've got that you can compress it with AutoGK as much as you want so that solves your problem with file sizes. The end result of that will be an AVI file of the movie compressed to the size you want (either by % of original or to a specific file size of your choice).

Oh. That library thing was pretty confusing because it really doesn't have anything to do with ripping. Once you rip and compress/encode your movies, you can add them to any "library" you want.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so does anyone have any experience with Blu Ray?

I have been looking at software, and there is an overwhelming amount software. I am intending this computer for getting movies from netflix, couple of clicks (less important part) then the movie is on my hard drive, in a format that is less than 10-ish gigs, and to have the movies in a list, like in powerDVD would be nice, but i just cant seem to find a good combination sofar

But from the research i have done sofar it seems like anyDVD HD is the standard ripper, but for blu ray it outputs an 88 gig file

so anyone who has an operational Media Center, your recomendation would be much apreciated

thanks,

cdburner5911