Sign in to follow this  
AznJoe

Work Station Video Card Choices

Does anyone know how much of a difference having 128MB GDDR3 Memory opposed to the 256MB GDDR2? There is a 50 dollar price difference so I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on this.

The first is the ATI FireGL V3600 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16.

FireGL V3600

The second is the ATI FireGL V3400 128MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16.

FireGL V3400

Thanks

Edited by AznJoe

you need to fix those links and also the v3600 is whole lot faster, but still quite slow, what are you planing on doing?

also are you interest in buying a used v3750? it outperforms a v5600 :)

FireGL V3400 128MB

FireGL V3600 256MB

FirePro V3750 256MB

i can answer all your questions but you have to tell me how many monitors, what 3d programs, etc you are going to be doing.

Edited by hornybluecow

Hehe, sorry about the links. They should be fixed now.

I am running a dual 19" monitor setup and I use Solidworks 2009 SP3. I work with assemblies that can range anywhere between 250 and 500 parts.

I built a new machine over the weekend which I call my "Budget Workstation" lol. The specs are as follows:

- Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

- Core2 Duo E8400 @ 4Ghz

- 8 Gigs of OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

- XION XON-630P12N 630W PSU

- Windows XP x64 SP2

I want this machine to go as fast as it possibly can.

19" would be 1440x900 for widescreen (am i right?) which isn't terribly high rez but works better than running dual 24s like me.

i never really used solidworks but i know what you are talking about and from everything i have read (this is just for solidworks) video memory is 2nd to the core architecture (R6xx, R7xx, etc). with your budget rig the cpu and ram is fine solidwork only uses 2 threads (dualcore) and just about 1gig of ram. what comes into play is if you going to use the video card for any other program?

anyways a quick look at SPECopc 10 solidwork benchmark:

FireGL V3400 128MB= not even listed (maybe 10fps)

FireGL V3600 256MB= 75fps

FirePro V3750 256MB= 100~fps

FireGL V5600 512MB= 91fps

FireGL V7600 512MB= 98fps

FireGL V8650 2gb =100fps

FireGL V7700 512MB=102fps

FirePro V8700 1gb = 103fps

you don't want to be fooled back the naming scheme, the v3400 was made in 2006, 3600 (2007) and the v3750 (2008). just like all video cards the next generation core is just about twice as fast as the last one.

from what i gathered solidworks is highly based on cpu clock (which 4ghz on your part is quite good) quadcore wouldn't do you any good for this program but it will for maya and 3ds max. anyways i lost track of my real point but if you onlyhave say $200 to spend i would get the FirePro V3750 hands down. i want to upgrade so PM me if you want to buy mine for cheap. i not just saying the v3750 is the best because i want to sell mine but it really is, the firePros are gold.

edit: this looks like a better deal Lightly Used ATI FireGL Pro V3750 PCIE i would just grab this (damn i wish found it when i needed it)

Edited by hornybluecow

There's a big no-no in that build though, and that's the Xion PSU, it's absolute crap! For a workstation, you want to get a reliable PSU, so I recommend sending the Xion back to whereever you bought it from and getting something from a decent brand. What you want in that price category is for example a Mushkin 550W Modular or similar, but the number one rule of building a computer is never to cheap out on the one component that's gonna be powering it all!

so very true, i didn't even catch that. but yeah get a mushkin, OCZ, Corsair or Fountain PSU, none of that other crap.

personally i would go with whatever has a rebate, i managed to get a OCZ 550watt for $35.

Edited by hornybluecow

Ok, I knew I should have gotten the OCZ psu, it's what I have in my gaming rig and it powers everything flawlessly. I will be returning that XION tommorrow after work lol.

Someone pointed out on the Solidworks Forums that SW is now supporting the FirePro cards, which I was not aware of. It appears that you can run them in a crossfire configuration, if that is the case I will be wanting to get 2 FirePro V3750s as soon as possible! I am always a bit iffy on buying used hardware but if the price is right I would definitely consider it.

I appreciate the insight you guys have brought fourth! Thanks a ton!

when it comes to server and workstation stuff on ebay i haven't run into any issues because its never overclocked, never abused because its in a working environment. that's just my take on it.

i got this $500 raid card for $150 on ebay, works like a charm, im amazed what company's buy and resale without ever using it.

Edited by hornybluecow

So, much to my dismay, I found out that Solidworks does not support Crossfire or SLI. I originally wanted to go with 2 FirePro V3750s but now I am inclined to go after a FirePro V5700. Is there really a huge difference going from a V3750 to a V5700?

why wouldn't one firepro not support solidworks when the others do (my card works just fine with the benchmark)? sounds a little odd. anyways for what the v5700 does for $400 is a little overpriced. but maybe i just feeling poor.

v3750: 256mb 64bit (bus) 320streams

v5700: 512mv 128bit (bus) 3200streams

in theory the performance should be double but like everyting in realworld apps but it isn't. i would compare it to a firegl v7600. like the specs line up other than the fact that the 7600 is R6xxx core (last gen). firepros are like gold, just the pricing sucks even for the quadro's...

Edited by hornybluecow

so very true, i didn't even catch that. but yeah get a mushkin, OCZ, Corsair or Fountain PSU, none of that other crap.

PC Power and Cooling PSU's aren't crap :D

PC Power and Cooling PSU's aren't crap :D

I agree. They're comparable to many top PSUs, especially the Silencer 750W series.