ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

As almost everyone on this forum knows I'm a ati fan, but I do you nvidia cards, new and old. I had a 6200 that was a good card for the money, and build a rig for my friend with a 6600gt. But when the r520, aka "sli slayer" comes out it will beat a 6800u sli setup. Then ati will release multi-rendering, which is like sli and 2 r520 will rock the world.

I would just like to say which cards are good for every price range.

>100 6200 (I would save some money up)

200 6600gt

300 x800xl

400 x800xt

500 x850xt

800 6800gt sli

1000 6800u sli

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they all benched the same for games, both got the same scores for everything then i would go nVidia for nice dual display support built into drivers (hey i like ATI but hydravision just SUCKS) and bc of better support under Linux. Thoes are the only reasons so as for now i pick what gets me the most for my money :D

• 1 month later...

I use ATI Radeon cards because they just do not give us any problems and they perform in every system. From the X800 XT down to the 9600 all perform great compared to the cost of the card. We have tried nVidia from time to time mainly because someone specified a specific card. We don't know enough about installing them in order for us to be satisfied with thier performance. No KNOCKING here just IMO::

• 1 month later...

Yes I would agree also, I care more about image quality, Which is why I use ATI. nVidia still suprises me on how well the budget cards perform on OpenGL based games.

i am not a fanboy of any company. I just find that "I hate company A" is not a valid argument when discussing a product. I have never owned an ATI card, but no questions asked I just ordered the x850xt PE instead of a 6800-series card (U or UEE). Why? because it is better for the money (well, unless you have read this month's issue of gigahz (a british computer mag)) If I were to buy a CPU today, I would buy AMD. But that doesnt mean that if intel came out with an equal or better product, I would dismiss it because it is intel. You cannot compare companies as a whole, so I find this type of thread immaterial to any computer-related discussion. Unless we discuss the financial figures or business practices of the company, it is not possible to have such a generalization, which assumes that either the companis in question each either only produce one product or that all of their products are equal. A discussion (or argument as the "vs." suggests), in order to mean anything, should be about two individual products, not two broad companies that encompass a multitude of various producs, aimed at various price ranges and purposes.

I'd go with the Nvidia. They r using 3dfx technology.

499581[/snapback]

:withstupid: I totaly agree! remember when 3dfx's "realtime fsaa" made things things look more realistic back then? well, the 7800 gtx can do 8x aa and 16x af on single card mode with an awesome amount of fps! (sweeet isn't it? ) I also heard that the 7800 will be able to handle 16x aa, just like the voodoo's 4gpu card was the only card able to handle 8x aa at it's time! All this on single card mode now imagine on SLi... games are now going to look realistic for sure!!

nVidia all the way, the only reason that ATI gets better scores, is because of the drivers. ATI holds the drivers back so people say, " hey i think i wont waste alot of money and buy a 9800xt or w/e" so when drivers release games are gona have more restrictions. so your gona have to buy a bigger and better card ATI might have a little bit more quality, but nVidia has more speed.

Nvidia all the way.