ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 4 computers in my Life (still have 2 of them) the first had On-Baord, but I later updated to a "PCI 3dfx Voodoo" it was great AT the time.

My Second PC had an nVidia GeForce 2 MX 32 mb in it, it was alrite, even when it was new, I could rarely/if ever run MAX details on any games, but it got the job done.

My Current PC had an ATi Radeon 9800SE, it was pretty good, but was some OEM turd, OCed it abit, but wasnt cutting it as well as id like, so upgraded to an X800XT PE ViVo, this thing is THE OWNAGE! Runs everything on MAX details (including AA + AF) and still pumps out min 60 FPS!

My second PC has onbaord intel, complete bollocks, dosent even support 32 bit colour.

Tried to upgrade it to a PCI 9200SE 128mb (I kno its turd) but it didnt work, apparently its so crap it will ONLY accept a Voodoo 3. Nothing else.

My brother has my old PC with the GeForce 2 MX, I just upgraded that to a GeForce 4 MX440 64 mb, it sucks. But is ok for him atm.

I have preffered my ATi cards. But then, the ATi cards I have had, where not in the same legaue as the nVidias.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of what ever goes the fastest and costs the least. One day it might be ATI, then next it could be NVIDIA.

When I got my 6800GT, about 6 months ago, it was NVIDIA. If I was bulding a new comp today an x800XL would be in it. It's all about bang for the buck with me.

• 2 weeks later...

i just upped video cards (nvidia geforce 4mx420 pci ed to a ati radeon 9600XT all in wonder agp8X) i havent done much ocing in that area soo theres a pritty big difference for me. BUT now that i just upgraded to this ati boared it REALY is messing with my compy in confuzing ways.

end vote:

nvidia = great

ati = great when NOT upgrading

what pisses me off is when people start off with a geforce 1 or 2.. and then go and get an ATi x850xtpe and is like OMG ATi owns geforce 2.... NO .! DUDE! its a GF2.. when people compare like that.....

NVIDIA

Well it's been awhile since ive posted in teh thread so whay not do it again. Here's some of the stuff ive used

2mb ATI Mach64? (ok it sucks get over it, It was paired with a 300mhz celly)

4mb Matrox (not bad for a 4mb video card, can handel the WinXP environment very well)

16mb TNT2 (for its range i like them)

32mb MX-440 (didnt like it, but it think the card was a little screwed)

64mb Radeon 7000 x 2 (total POS worst 64mb card on teh market in my opinion)

64mb Intel Integrated x 2 (not too bad for it's uses only thing is what's that BS above about not supporting 32bit color? works fine on both my PCs that came with it. It'll even respecably play HALO, at lowered settings :D battlefield 1942, no problem, farcry, ain't happenin', Doom 3 if you like 16FPS in the demo go for it :D)

64mb MX-440 (dang nice card for its uses, love the thing)

9200se (umm well i guess its not TOO bad, but a 5200 can = or beat it)

128mb 5200 AGP (i think we all know about these things

128mb 5200 AGP Ultra model (umm better than the normal, like hat sys anything)

128mb 5200 PCI (pwns the other two 5200s, still sucks though :lol:)

128mb 9550 (pretty nice card for the price)

128mb 9600 pro x 2(still a great card for a truely budget gamer)

128mb 9600XT x2(costs too much but still a good card)

128mb 9700pro (ohh wish i had one :D)

128mb 9800pro AIW (of course a very nice card)

128mb 6800 AGP (yes i love my card, you got a problem with that)

As you can see i have experenced ALOT of cards for someone of my age. everything here i have either used in my primary rig, used multiple times at a friends house, or have atlast setup and tried to game with.

So my opinion, only ONE of the cards above has ever had the need to be RMAed, it was a 9600pro (not mine a friends) Does that make me think ATI suxors...umm no i bought my 9600pro about 2 months later...All the cards are good, some are better for your uses, suach as if you love Linux i say go nVidia bc they seem to care about gettign godo drivers out for Linux. If you must have max FSP in Hl2 then ATI is probibly the way to go. If you want Doom3 to look nice nVidia this time. If you want your games to look like crap but MS office to be very sexy, might i suggest an Intel integrated :lol: It really come down to price vs performance, 6800 for $200 back around december pretty much said "buy me now dangit!"

yet a x800 for the same w/o the 6800 option then i would have ATI atm.

what pisses me off is when people start off with a geforce 1 or 2.. and then go and get an ATi x850xtpe and is like OMG ATi owns geforce 2.... NO .! DUDE! its a GF2.. when people compare like that.....

NVIDIA

457728[/snapback]

Holo, that is a good point and it works vise versa as well ya know. ;) ...

nVidia and ATi both make great products. I am the type that goes with whatever is getting the highest benchmark scores at the time of my upgrade. Right now it is ATi next month it could be nVidia. I like both, but if they were perfectly equal and then all I had to do was choose between companies then I would choose ATi. :)