ATi vs. nVidia

Nerm

My mx420 had no problems at all playing GTA3, nor does my GF3. But mine's a ti500.

My 7000 also wasn't all that great at DVD decoding, either.  Stuttered now and then. 

I do realize the 7000 wasn't the top-of-the-line card, but like I said before, just looking at the fill rates and so on made me think it should have been the fastest card I'd ever seen.  I don't know if the drivers were holding it back from realizing its full potential or what.

The problem with the 7000 is that is was pretty much a neutered 7500. (<--- a decent card...I liked mine a lot) Fill rate is far from being the most important factor for a video card. The 7000 lacked the hardware t&l engine from the 7200 and 7500, and I do believe it only had a 64-bit memory bus. (I may be wrong on the second part) Also, the pre-8500 radeon cards were kind of deceptive in terms of their fill rate. They were a 2 x 3 pipeline configuration, so they had very high multi-texturing fill rate, but rather low single-texturing fill rate. Also, most applications at the time were optimized for a [something] x 2 configuration, since that's how all of the geforce line was. Thus, the third texture unit was rarely used. For example, 3dmark01 only uses 2 texture layers for the multi-texturing test, so my radeon 7500 would turn in numbers around 1100 mtexels instead of the ~1700 mtexels it should have been getting in that test. (and probably throughout the entire benchmark)

Edited by Eva_Unit_0

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that geforce 3 is a great match for your system. The geforce 3 was just a fantastic core in general...I recently got my hands on a ti200...can't wait to put it to use. I'd probably say, at least in my own opinion, that the gf3 was nvidia's best chipset ever. And to top it all off, there was no Geforce 3 mx! Thank God! All geforce 3 cards had full pixel shader glory! No neutered ones here!

Oh yeah and NewEgg.com is having a sale for eVGA 5900 Ultra 256MB for $220!!

The sale ends on January 6 if anybody cares.

Jeez, I paid A LOT MORE for mine when it first came out. :( Oh well, that's the price you pay for having to get it when something first comes out.

I've had Nvidia cards dating back to the GeForce 2 series. I was a loyal 3Dfx fan until what was left was absorbed by Nvidia. I've still got a GF3 Ti500 (in my test box/server), a GF4 Ti4200 (in my wife's PC) and an eVGA FX5900 Ultra in my main PC. I went with Nvidia back when ATI had a reputation for bad drivers and never looked back. Not saying there's anything wrong with ATI; it's just my preference to go with Nvidia. I'm not going to cry if my FX 5900 Ultra gets 50 fps in HL2 and my friend's ATI gets 55 fps.

I know plenty of people who have ATI cards and have no problems with them, as well as people with Nvidia cards who have no problems. I'm sure that when HL2 comes out (if it EVER comes out) it will run just fine with my FX5900 Ultra, as well as Doom3. I'm not worried. It's really a matter of preference, just like Intel vs. AMD, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. Each product has its pros and cons. I'm about as easygoing as they come, and have nothing against any of them.

Long live Freedom of Choice!

Edited by Tempesta

well if its a matter of value, since the whole 5900 to 5950ultra came up. I think thats what im gonna do, then i'll really be able to post here (ive only owned a radeon 7000, usin a 8500 right now) (dont hurt me) anyways, doin that its takin a 220 buck card and turnin it into a 450 buck card. :bah: thats the easiest decision i ever made

Woot! You can read my post on Nuclears 5900->5950 post.

I successfully flashed my 5900SE into the 5950 bios! Don't wanna highjack this thread to much, so just read up on it in the other thread if you'd like.

I only have one thing to say.. ATI has the 9000 64 mb card running about 90 bucks... the NVidia FX 5200 with 128 mb runs about 100... and they bother utterly suck major ... I have the 5200 because it has twice the ram. In order to have a "good" video card they cost upwards of 200 dollars. They need to have a video card that is "good" and inexpensive for the less fortunate of us :(