9800GTX v 2x9600GSO

paulktreg

could you show/tell where you found that out? I'm not doubting you, I'm just surprised.

also, any chance your research based its findings on the 48 SP GSO instead of the 96 SP GSOs you planned on using?

lastly, overclocking the GSOs shaders will boost your production tangibly, dunno if that was taken into consideration.

:)

I found this and like you say its a 48. How accurate (or not) do you think these figures are?

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that those PPD figures are probably pretty accurate for stock-clocked cards.

as that table relates to what you can expect from a GSO - if you get the Asus GSO you mentioned in the OP, you can effectively double the given PPD. in short, with a GSO sporting 96 SPs, you can probably expect 3600-4000+ PPD from each card. that number should go up somewhat if you OC the cards - remember, shader speed is the most important aspect of a cards folding ability.

• 2 weeks later...

even at the 96pipeline the 9600 series cards based on the G94 GPU will only do 2600-2900 PPD in folding...

even the 9600gt 512card gets only 2900 PPD at 750/1200 speeds on a quad core rig...

and isnt the gso a lesser card than the gt...?

I think it depends on the card...

the 1gb and 768mb cards are 48 SP cards and the others are 96 SP cards while the 9600gt cards are 69 SP cards...

even at the 96pipeline the 9600 series cards based on the G94 GPU will only do 2600-2900 PPD in folding...

even the 9600gt 512card gets only 2900 PPD at 750/1200 speeds on a quad core rig...

the 1gb and 768mb cards are 48 SP cards and the others are 96 SP cards while the 9600gt cards are 69 SP cards...

I'm not a gamer really and I'm looking to reduce power consumption and if I can increase my PPD a little all's good. I'm pretty sure running two 9600GSO will increase points and reduce power consumption over the 9800GTX and the 9600GSO will do all I need and I can always SLI when not folding.

Cheers

Paul

there are a few incorrect statements here.

the 9600 GSO w/96 SPs will put out ~4000/day, all you have to do is bump the shaders into the 1600+ range. I know we always warn about making generalities here, but this is one case where it's alright. these specific GSOs (96 SP) have such amazing shader headroom, and shaders are what gets the folding done!

follow this link that Paul provided a few posts ago in this thread and have a look @ that PPD table. if you look at the performance numbers of the listed 9600 cards, specifically the GSO and GT, you can see they are both inferior to the 96 SP GSO. you can also use the listed 48 SP GSO to extrapolate expected numbers for the 96 SP version.

this is partly incorrect, specifically where the GSO is concerned. check it:

- the GSO cards w/memory totals divisible by 192 are the "good" 96 SP GSOs. thus, the cards carrying 768mb and 384mb RAM are the ones to buy and fold with. these cards also have a 192-bit memory bus.

- the GSO cards w/memory divisible by 256 are the ones to avoid. these GSOs only have 48 SPs, with total memory @ 512mb and 1gb, on a 256-bit memory bus.

my 9600gt shader is default at 1675mhz so what would be a good number to bump too...?

well, compared to the good GSO, your card is somewhat neutered. if I'm reading correctly, your GT has 64 SPs (also called unified shaders), which is 32 less than the GSO - this will certainly negatively impact your folding. to be honest, I really dont know what to tell you about how to get more out of your GT.

TigerDirect has the XFX 9600 GSO 768 on sale now. it's the same card I have, and folds balls-out.

at the egg they have a fanless 512 mb gso for 50 bucks

OK card but if you read the posting, which is about folding, this card isn't as good as the 384MB and 768MB versions of the 9600GSO.

Cheers

Paul

well paul...

I think that would be a smart move on your part...even if the card you get is better than the 9600gt I have mine games fine...even though you said you dont game...

I did crank the shader up on mine and the PPD went from 2875 to 3408 going from a shader clock of 1675 to 1895 but a google search seems to think the card can handle a shader boost of 2400mhz..? not sure they clocked everything else too...

I may get ballsy and try it...