9800GTX v 2x9600GSO

paulktreg

I messed up and order 2 of these with DDR2 ASUS EN9600GSO MAGIC/HTDP/512M GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready back in Oct 08, they are about 1,000 ppd less than my ASUS EN9600GSO TOP/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've ordered two Asus 9600GSO 384MB graphics cards. I'll let you know a few before and after measurements of Watts and PPD when they arrive and I get them up and folding.

Cheers

Paul

Got my two EN9600GSO's installed, added another monitor and extended desktop ticked and working.

Installed Asus Smart Doctor but don't really like it. Anybody recommended a program that will help me up the shader clock and keep an eye on both card temperatures?

Any good guides for "idiots" anywhere on folding on two graphics cards?

Cheers

Paul

You can use RivaTuner to OC the shader clock independently from the GPU clock, it can also monitor each card's temperatures as well as the ACTUAL clock speed (they go up in steps larger than 1MHz)

Got my two EN9600GSO's installed, added another monitor and extended desktop ticked and working.

Installed Asus Smart Doctor but don't really like it. Anybody recommended a program that will help me up the shader clock and keep an eye on both card temperatures?

Any good guides for "idiots" anywhere on folding on two graphics cards?

Cheers

Paul

I use (and really like) EVGA Precision. it's simple enough for a dummy like me, and has all the features a multi-GPU folder could want.

highlights include:

- totally custom user-created profiles

- Windows start-up feature - loads your profile when Windows starts (Vista x64, too!)

- OC options for core, memory, and shaders - independently

- custom fan profiles

- simplicity - did I mention that yet?

RivaTuner is nice, but it's overkill for most people's needs. I used to use it.

I'm actually working on a F@H guide or two - keep your eyes peeled in the next week or so.

:thumbs-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Success!?

gallery_32188_263_28168.jpg

Only just fired them up but the two 9600GSO's and one CPU client are pulling approximately 8000PPD.

Shader clock upto 1800 on both cards.

I'll just see how they go over the next few days.

... and by the way...

9800GTX + Single CPU client = approx. 4500PPD = 208W

2x9600GSO + Single CPU client = approx. 8000PPD = 238W

So I haven't saved any power here and I was fairly sure I would. Never mind, more points/watt! :lol:

Edit: Found this very useful.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Edit: Found this very useful.

Aww man you went for the complicated route... Using the console client is much more simpler... All files and configuration are in the same folder as the client, you have no messing to do, you don't have to worry about the -local flag. The only thing you have to do is use the -gpu x flag.

Aww man you went for the complicated route... Using the console client is much more simpler... All files and configuration are in the same folder as the client, you have no messing to do, you don't have to worry about the -local flag. The only thing you have to do is use the -gpu x flag.

Didn't use the -local flag?

Didn't like the console client! I was forever accidentally shutting them down. :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

• 4 weeks later...

is it bad just to pump up the shader clock because i know they are linked somehow. what i mean bad as in pointless because unless it's linked the extra mhz doesn't do much?

Edited by hornybluecow

is it bad just to pump up the shader clock because i know they are linked somehow. what i mean bad as in pointless because unless it's linked the extra mhz doesn't do much?

Using something like EVGA Precision you can unlink the core and shader clock.

I have read many articles that say increased PPD can be achieved by increasing the shader clock only, core and memory clock making very little difference.

I have just reset my 9600GSO clocks to default (Core=550MHz, Shader=1375MHz & Memory=800MHz) and the time between % increments on a 1888 point WU is approx 9 1/2 to 10 minutes, with 6500/7000 PPD.

Up the shader core to give (Core=550MHz, Shader=1800MHz & Memory=800MHz) and the time between % increments on the 1888 point WU is now approx: 7 to 7 1/2 minutes, with 8000/8500 PPD.

Hardly a comprehensive test I know, but I think you'll agree it does show how increasing the shader clock does make a difference.

Cheers

Paul