gtx295 or crossfire 4890s

upok

Okay, here's the scoop. I had 2 Visiontek hd4870 512mb crossfired for 8 or 9 months. I really loved that setup, good frame rates, GREAT image quality, etc. I had an opportunity to sell them for almost $200/each. I couldn't pass up selling 9 month old video cards for 80% of what I paid for them new. Besides, the 512mb was starting to be a limiting factor in some of the newer games I'm playing(1920x1200). So I got a 4870x2 and kept running into the "Disabled Video Adapter" driver error. The only usable workaround I had was to use the Cat 8.11 drivers, and I really don't want a $450 video card that only works with 6 month old drivers. So I returned the x2 and got the EVGA gtx295. Now, the framerates with this card are spectacular, but I [OPINION ALERT] think the crossfire ati 4870s had better image quality. I notice mostly in the smoke, water, and especially shadow effects. So, I really like the performance of the gtx295, but I like the image quality of my old ati rig.

So, here's the question. Should I just quit my whining and keep the gtx295? Or, should I return it and get 2 4890s and crossfire them?

btw: what's everyone's experience with HIS brand cards, that's what my local Microcenter has in stock.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

In every single test, except 1, 2x4890>GTX 295.

Which is weird because the GTX 275 is better than the 4890, and the GTX 275 is half the GTX 295?

:O

Ok,

In every single test, except 1, 2x4890>GTX 295.

Which is weird because the GTX 275 is better than the 4890, and the GTX 275 is half the GTX 295?

:O

Huh?

I thought the GTX260 was half the GTX295?

In my opinion a graphics card is meant to deliver satisfactory frame rates but more importantly deliver astonishing "graphics". If game play is smooth your next variable to look for is image/lighting quality.

Here are two sources to a 4890CF review:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2704/ati...fire/index.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/HD_4890_CrossFire/

ya i have heard multiple times that a 275 is half a 295. so i am lost when people tell me that two gtx275's are equal to one gtx 295 but a 4890 in crossfire is better than a gtx 295. why is this if the gtx 275 out performs the 4890?

In my opinion a graphics card is meant to deliver satisfactory frame rates but more importantly deliver astonishing "graphics". If game play is smooth your next variable to look for is image/lighting quality.

Here are two sources to a 4890CF review:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/2704/ati...fire/index.html

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/HD_4890_CrossFire/

I completely agree. And I appreciate your links, but they kinda solidify a minor complaint of mine. It's easy to find benchmarks that only compare framerates, but harder to actually compare image quality. And IQ isn't just about anti-aliasing and anisatropic filtering. I guess it's just really subjective about image quality. My observations have been that I get better image quality(shadow, smoke, water, better color accuracy) with ati. It also seems that the ati cards are doing remarkably well with anti-aliasing even at higher resolutions.

Maybe I just really miss having 2 video cards in my case-- :lol: I know that the 295 is really 2 cards on one board, but it's still only 1 board.

ya i have heard multiple times that a 275 is half a 295. so i am lost when people tell me that two gtx275's are equal to one gtx 295 but a 4890 in crossfire is better than a gtx 295. why is this if the gtx 275 out performs the 4890?

I think that statement really depends on the game or benchmark. It seems that more games get significant performance boost from crossfire than sli. If that's the case then it makes perfect sense that 2 4890s would scale better in more games than 2 275s. This is a case of the total being greater than the sum of the parts.

Talk to battery. He seems to know about image quality(He said ATI has better IQ).

And I have an HIS HD4870, only for about 5 days though so I can't say anything about tech support, all I can say is the card is great :)

The ati cards scale better in crossfire than the nvidia cards do in sli.. that is supposedly why you get better frame rates between the x2 4890's compared to the gtx 295 (this is what I have been told by a few people)

And yes the gtx 275 is half the gtx 295

Edited by Water_Hazard