Best desktop brand

madu

Well recently I had to fix a computer for the school, it was a pretty cheap lenovo (I would say no more then 600$). I was very surprised to find the parts where from good, reliable well known brands. The hard drive for example was a Western Digital Caviar. Another one had a Seagate Barricuda which my principal gave me for a reward :D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you already have a monitor and peripherals, you could easily configure an i7 system under $2k from Dell.

I can vouch for Linux support on the XPS 730x, as I have a quad boot system (see sig) that I run Ubuntu, Vista, XP and OSX on without any issues whatsoever.

I just configured this XPS 730x on Dell.com....

i7 920

6GB DDR3

750GB HDD

X-Fi Titanium

19-in-1 Media card Reader w/ Bluetooth

ATI 4850

Home Premium 64-bit

Etc

For $1999. Pretty good deal!

I'd choose Dell as well. Unless things have changed recently, I often find Lenovo's to be over-priced. HP is good, so if you can find an HP for cheaper, I'd go with that, but if we're talking the exact same price, I'd choose Dell over HP. I also think the Dell desktops look the nicest (unless you go for the HP firebird, but that'll cost you more).

I had dell, gatewayand HP computers... I recently ordered a laptop from dell.com and had to RMA it TWICE! <_<

It all depends on what you're looking for... I found these barebone systems that might benefit you...

ASUS P6T Intel X58 Barebone Kit - Socket LGA1366, Intel Core i7 920, 12GB Corsair DDR3-1600, 1.5TB SATA2, Clear Side ATX Mid-Tower, 750W

Original Price: $1,129.99

Instant Savings: - $70.00

Price: $1,059.99

Less Rebate: - $60.00

Final Price: $999.99*

or

ASUS P6T Intel Socket LGA1366 Barebone Kit - Intel Core i7 920, 12GB Corsair DDR3-1333, 1TB SATA2, Clear Side ATX Mid-Tower, 750W

Original Price: $999.99

Instant Savings: - $50.00

Price: $949.99

Less Rebate: - $20.00

Final Price: $929.99*

With a nice Zotac GeForce GTX 295 using a I-Inc iF-281DPB 28" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 3ms, WUXGA 1920x1200, HDMI, D-sub, Built-In Speakers...

I'm jealous!!

That's what I thought until my HP roasted itself. The heaviest load I ever gave it was playing half life 2 deathmatch in a cool room on a desk. I called hp over and over, they just kept giving me the run around. Luckily I got my money back at tigerdirect since I am a good customer and I know almost everyone there. They gave me store credit and a full refund, and I bought a compaq (yes I realize it's the same company). Had it for a little over a year and no problems. Its running great.

You got rid of an HP and bought a Compaq? :blink: I honestly don't know what to say to that.

You know almost everyone at tigerdirect? They are owned by Infotel which is owned by Systemax who also happens to own Ultra, so just how many of the thousands upon thousands of employee's do you know anyway? :P

Assuming you already have a monitor and peripherals, you could easily configure an i7 system under $2k from Dell.

I can vouch for Linux support on the XPS 730x, as I have a quad boot system (see sig) that I run Ubuntu, Vista, XP and OSX on without any issues whatsoever.

I just configured this XPS 730x on Dell.com....

i7 920

6GB DDR3

750GB HDD

X-Fi Titanium

19-in-1 Media card Reader w/ Bluetooth

ATI 4850

Home Premium 64-bit

Etc

For $1999. Pretty good deal!

Might as well build one if you would need to pay that much. I just configured a similar setup on newegg and it came out to $1,154.