Sign in to follow this  
madu

Best desktop brand

Hey guys,

So the new financial year started and I am entitled to get a desktop for below $2000.

I have to buy a branded one and not allowed to build one myself. So what do you guys think is the most reliable brand out there?

The options available for me are:

1) iMac

2) Lenovo Think Center

3) Dell XPS

My primary concern is the driver compatibility with Linux. I will be installing Ubuntu on this. Anyway I think most of the devices will work except for maybe iMac. But apart from this, my main purpose in this machine will be runing Matlab. So a quad core is preferable although a dual-core wont make a big difference.

My problem is with durability. I have a Lenovo T60 laptop which I have been using for almost two years withoug any problem whatsoever. On the other hand my Dell XPS laptop died within a year. So I am a little concerned which way to go. Because Dell desktops are pretty much out there but Lenovo isn''t that much.

So just leave your guys thoughts.

Cheers.

If you are simply going to turn around and install Linux on the system, then I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on the iMac.

Personally, I'd go with a Dell over a Lenovo system, but I'm not really crazy about either.

Is there any reason you are not allowed to build one? Believe me you can get much higher quality parts for cheaper, the pre-builds are usually junky piece that just barely work, but they work..

Personally, I'd go with a Dell over a Lenovo system, but I'm not really crazy about either.

Agreed, I put together 2 Dell systems last week for some work colleagues and have just taken delivery of 2 Lenovos, which are also quite good. I wouldn't have them for myself, but for off-the-shelf systems I would choose Dell out of those you list. I use a Hewlett Packard workstation in the office, again supplied off the shelf directly from HP. For myself, I would probably choose them first and then look to Dell as my second choice, so give HP a look as well. For Linux I would stay away from a Mac.

I have the same problem about self-builds too, I have to buy branded and cannot build my own - it drives me mad at how much money I get allocated and what I could buy with it if I was allowed to put it together myself!

Thanks guys.

Yeah I liked the Dell too.

No I am not allowed to build one myself. Because I need to return this back in about a year and also they have warranty issues and stuff. So yeah that out of the question.

I didn't think about HP. Should do a search on that.

Cheers.

HP is definitely an option I'd consider.

Of the brands you listed, I'd go with the Dell.

Mac is too expensive to just wipe out and put Linux on.

Lenovo has Chinese government commie spyware embedded in it that spies on you at night and collects data about the sleeping habits of Americans so the Chinese can plan their invasion of our homeland...

For the most part, if you're comparing systems with similar parts, then they're going to be the same. When specs are the same, there's not exactly a world of difference between Dell and HP (for example). If you're shopping pre-built, I say just find the best deal and forget who made it.

IMO HP laptops are hard to beat by the brands you mentioned. Dell is easier to service than Lenovo but I think Lenovo builds a better quality.

For the most part, if you're comparing systems with similar parts, then they're going to be the same. When specs are the same, there's not exactly a world of difference between Dell and HP (for example). If you're shopping pre-built, I say just find the best deal and forget who made it.

The place where there are real differences between brands seems to be at the low end, especially those sold at discount stores, apparently not a consideration here.

IMO HP laptops are hard to beat by the brands you mentioned. Dell is easier to service than Lenovo but I think Lenovo builds a better quality.

That's what I thought until my HP roasted itself. The heaviest load I ever gave it was playing half life 2 deathmatch in a cool room on a desk. I called hp over and over, they just kept giving me the run around. Luckily I got my money back at tigerdirect since I am a good customer and I know almost everyone there. They gave me store credit and a full refund, and I bought a compaq (yes I realize it's the same company). Had it for a little over a year and no problems. Its running great.

Thanks for the info guys.

Seems HP is the favorite... yeah I guess I shouldn't get carried away from the iMac's bling.. Mac OS serves me no purpose...