Sign in to follow this  
AR-fatality

HD4850 freezing!!!????

I just bought a XFX HD4850 XXX Edition card which comes slightly oc'd and installed it. Whenever i run a game for around 10~15mins my PC freezes!!!?? NO response from mouse/keyboard. Ive installed the latest drivers but havent formatted my windows installation. I used a 9800gt before this and faced no problems. Is this because of my motherboard (NFORCE 680i Chipset) or my PSU which a Fortrex 600W PSU? Help me out please

I'm not sure about the PSU brand, but 600W should be plenty...

I'd recommend uninstalling all drivers for any videocard and run driver sweeper, and get a fresh start with the latest (or any you want supporting your card) drivers.

EDIT: Driversweeper: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Drive...2.html#download

Edited by PeeWee90

I just bought a XFX HD4850 XXX Edition card which comes slightly oc'd and installed it. Whenever i run a game for around 10~15mins my PC freezes!!!?? NO response from mouse/keyboard. Ive installed the latest drivers but havent formatted my windows installation. I used a 9800gt before this and faced no problems. Is this because of my motherboard (NFORCE 680i Chipset) or my PSU which a Fortrex 600W PSU? Help me out please

Have you checked the temps on the card or have you adjusted the fan setting? My HD 4850 was like most and came with a fan setting way too low to keep the card remotely cool at idle, much less gaming.

Also, check out the +12v Amprage on the PSU and make sure its enough for that card.

I know I had an issue with that when I got my 8800 a while ago. I was only 2 amps short, but that is what was causeing the issues.

Cooling shouldnt be an issue as my XFX card has a custome dual slot cooler and temps are fine under load <70. So its gotta be that damn PSU!

Cooling shouldnt be an issue as my XFX card has a custome dual slot cooler and temps are fine under load <70. So its gotta be that damn PSU!

Try lowering the clocks a bit, I have heard that the HD48xx series factory OC'ed sometimes don't work correctly at the OC'ed speeds.

i bet its the PSU. It probably has some crappy amps and like 50 percent efficiency.

It's definitely a crappy PSU.

My XFX 4850 XXX works fine for me at the factory overclocked speeds with the 9.3 drivers. I OC'D it more and got pretty much what you described while playing HL2, the screen froze, the audio stuttered and the system rebooted. There was a message about the video card having a problem, so I turned off the Overdrive which put me back to the factory OC and had no problems after that. My temps stay in the mid 60's if I'm gaming or folding.

If the CPU and GPU are at stock then I'd go with what the other guys are saying and check out your PSU.

when i OC my ATI 48501gb to the max on Catalyst controll center, i can sometimes see random green dots on my screen while gamaing, or the gpu gets anywhere neer about 45% usage, when i use controll center to turn fan to 80% fan speed, wich is not too loud, i dont see green dots untill about, 80% gpu. so try downloading and using catalyst controll center to overclock and controll fan speed on your graphics card and see what happens. btw, when i dont custom controll fan speed, my gpu fan wont even turn on untill the gpu eaches 60 degrees celcius, thats 145 degrees F. after turning gpu fan to 80% it idles about 43 celcius, a more resonable temp, wich i would think would be healtheir for the graphics card in the long run anyways.

Edited by bmash