Sign in to follow this  
tkrow21

Homework Help?

How would I continue this essay (I'm really stuck)? I really want to get an 88 or above on this one.

Most people will assume that since Sophocles’ Antigone is an ancient work, it will bear little to no relevance in the modern world. However, this statement shows the true ignorance of its speaker as human ideals will always remain the same, regardless of the time period. In fact, when comparing Antigone’s ideas to the modern world, it becomes very clear as to how similar the ideals of these different people really are.

The concept of losing everything is perfectly illustrated in Antigone. By the end of the play, King Creon, the most powerful mortal character in the play, is reduced “to a thought of dust”, because he had “been rash and foolish” (238). King Creon has sunk so low that he does not even refer to himself as an actual object, but a measly thought. Most people do not have the chance to rise as high as King Creon, but they can come close. The quintessential example of this is winning the lottery. With just a bit of luck, anyone can get millions of dollars. However, “There are lots of people out there … who don’t know how to deal with money” (8 Lottery Winners, 2), and end up losing all they have. It actually puts them in a worse situation because they have adapted to their new lifestyle, and all because they are “rash and foolish” (238) with their money. Just like Creon, not only have eight people hit rock bottom, they have done so very easily.

I don't know if for the next paragraph I should have another idea, example, or modern day example.

Please help, thanks. BTW this is a Freshman 4 paragraph essay trying to prove how Antigone has relevance to the modern day world.

And yes, I got the idea from the "lucky guy" thread.

Edited by tkrow21

If people help you I think I'll start posting more homework help stuff, I get stuck sometimes and that really brings my grades down lol.

Once you lay down your thesis in the first paragraph get down to work man! No more filler. Back up your next three paragraphs. Be concise, relevant and clear in your stance (arguement). Your teachers don't want a song and dance.

What citation format are you using? If it's MLA, then you're missing some stuff.

As for the plot itself, there are plenty of concepts to use. There's the apathy of King Creon regarding essentially everything, his willful ignorance leading to personal happiness (rather easy to see the connection to modern times with this). Then there's Antigone trying to take personal responsibility (this you can parlay into showing how society expects people to take responsibility of their actions through the justice system, or perhaps use it for contrast in that people try to eschew responsibility of their actions). Another one about Antigone is her "all or nothing" attitude where if she doesn't get everything she doesn't want anything. This could sort of fit into the lottery winner thing in that lottery winners lose their money by trying to please everyone and buy everything in an attempt to "have it all."

I remember writing an essay on Antigone back in college. Mine was much longer than four paragraphs :P

Once you lay down your thesis in the first paragraph get down to work man! No more filler. Back up your next three paragraphs. Be concise, relevant and clear in your stance (arguement). Your teachers don't want a song and dance.

My teacher's retarded.

What citation format are you using? If it's MLA, then you're missing some stuff.

As for the plot itself, there are plenty of concepts to use. There's the apathy of King Creon regarding essentially everything, his willful ignorance leading to personal happiness (rather easy to see the connection to modern times with this). Then there's Antigone trying to take personal responsibility (this you can parlay into showing how society expects people to take responsibility of their actions through the justice system, or perhaps use it for contrast in that people try to eschew responsibility of their actions). Another one about Antigone is her "all or nothing" attitude where if she doesn't get everything she doesn't want anything. This could sort of fit into the lottery winner thing in that lottery winners lose their money by trying to please everyone and buy everything in an attempt to "have it all."

I remember writing an essay on Antigone back in college. Mine was much longer than four paragraphs :P

I'd expect it was longer, I just started high school!

And thanks, I'm probably going to use your last example.

Thanks man!

Oh, you're a freshman in high school. I was thinking college. Wow, you're a youngin' :P

Enjoy those short essays while you can. They just get longer and more complex. You should see what sort of stuff I have to write up for law school :(