Quick Fdisk Help

Ghost2520

I'm trying to format my harddrive right now so I put in the 98 boot disk and once I got the dos promt I typed "fdisk" I then got into the fdisk screen and clicked option 3, delete partition. Once the partition was deleted I clicked create and created a partition for my hard drive. Fdisk then said that inorder to do anything to the disk that it had to be set as active. I then set the disk to active. Now how do I get it to format! It just sits there with the same create, set active, delete, and view partition options. Why couldn't they have just made an option to format! I really need help on this... :(

Tried that, after it reboots it goes into Windows 2000 setup and starts to format, as soon as it gets to 100% done formating it says "Windows was unable to finish formating the selected partition. Please make sure cable are properly connected and the disk is not damaged." I've tried everything to get this thing to format... I'm just going to give up on it, but I also think that it isn't the harddrives falt, that it is my Windows disks... EVERY hard drive that this windows disk has tried to format gets messed up. Is there any chance that MS will give me a new Windows replacing this one if it is corrupt?

go DL a live version of linux... boot and then (if its crapsmall linux) type

$ sudo su
password: crapsmall
# cfdisk

that will work many times better than the windows 98 boot disk... if you dont want to do that then... i would ask someone else :P

replace crap with the name of a bevers house pluss n (so d + a + m + n)

Edited by Kevin_E_Cramer

See the thing is, I got the boot disk from bootdisk.com and it doesn't appear to contain a format utility, just fdisk I tried typing a:format and it didn't work. Oh well I can't get a new hard drive until this weekend so I may as well try this Linux thing. Can you give me some details on it?