Ram Price/performance

For around 200 bucks or so what is the best pc3200 ram (1gb total) out there? I plan on using it for my OC'ed 2500 barton system (to around 2.2-2.3) Thanks in advanced

Purchase 2x512mb or 2x256mb of Corsair B)

I just don't see how that answer helps or answers any sort of question...

Well I like mushkin RAM myself and newegg sells the 1gig level one dual pack at $205. I like it because when it comes to voltage options most boards won't allow you to get the full 2.9V to make the similar priced geil stable. As far as price/perf goes this runs the tightest timings at around 200 with a low necessary voltage, that the AMD boards (at least my A7N8X will) will put out.

:withstupid: I like mushkin also but I preferred the black Mushkin Level 2's over the ones because of the higher quality. 2-256's is plenty unless you doing heavy cad work or video processing where it would warrant to have 1 gig. Also I would get the 3500ddr over the 3200ddr. The price difference of $167 vs $147 is pretty small for the higher frequency.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-146-291&depa=1

Edited by smithy

1 gig is really almost getting necessary these days and probably will be in the near future. With the 2500+, you can't really hit the high FSB for the Level II with the winbond bh-5 modules to really shine. At some point I would take 1gig of a little higher timing at 220 fsb (probably the most you can get out of the CPU) then the 512 of something that can hit almost 300fsb.

My vote goes for the Mushkin Black Lvl II PC3500 also. I've got 2 sets of this ram (2x512 and 2x256) and I love it. Great stuff for the price.

You could go with some OCZ PC4200 Performance also. The 2x256 DDR kit is the same price as the Mushkin. It's guaranteed to run 260FSB 1:1 on a Intel machine :D

2-256's is plenty unless you doing heavy cad work or video processing where it would warrant to have 1 gig.

Or if you prefer to run without a paging file so the comp doesnt use your hd for memory like me :)

4 X 256mb pc3200 Crucial chips

1 gig all the way baby on my 2.8c

got 2gigs on the duali opteron server :)

The Kingston Chips are good, but not for high OC'ing. The BH-5 chips are getting harder and harder to find, so there's a good chance he'll get CH-5.

I had a bad expierence with kingston as of late. My BH-5 PC3200 HyperX shot out on me at stock volts, so I had to RMA it. To my suprise, the sticks I got got back where no longer BH-5, but CH-5 sticks. That really made me angry, I went from a 3.81GHz OC, to a 250FSB 3.51GHz capped OC. I dropped the RAM in a spare rig, and bought some Mushkin. I knew Muskin wouldn't let me down with supplying some BH-5 chips.

yeah there ch5 now but my stick of bh5 hyperx can do the same speeds the mushkin can. but even it you get the ch5 the value fo the ram is whats so good about it. you wont notice a diff in real world game play and apps using cas2-3-3-7 compared to cas2 2-2-7 only in bench marks will the diff be seen and its very small