Cs Latency Problem

Special_K

Hey I got cs 1.6 w/the steam thing and i know my cd key is right and everything, but most of the time when i go to play is says the latency on all the servers is like, 2000 so it wont let me connect. i know that its not my connection because i got dsl and my pings are never over 100. anyways, if someone could please help me out.

i thought i was MyIE2 or some other program running in windows, but so far i havnt found anything linked to it. Also, my computer is networked through my parents computer, which shouldnt be a problem right?

how fast is your internet?

is the other computer on the network in use?

when my mom or dad is surfing internet, i get lag. (384 dsl)

dsl tottaly sux i hated it when i switched over to cable i could tell the differnce like crazy cable is way faster and its wierd how some people say that sometimes it can be and sometimes it cant because everyone is connected to the same line and who ever has cable gets slower connections ITS BS i have had both and i can prove it my upload and download speeds. Anyway CS will sometimes do this I know its gonna sound out rageous or what ever try reinstalling everything try to save maps and stuff on a disk before you delete everything hope that works

Ok, open the games menu by right-clicking the Steam icon in the taskbar and select games. Then right click each game and select properties. There should be an option that says something like "Automatically update this game." Also, make sure Steam has finished downloading the latest platform updates before you begin gaming.

ok my internet is fast, no the computer is not using it, and i dont get internet lag, its weird. the servers come up with the correct latencys, but when i click to go into them they change. :bah: i dont want to reinstall steam so imma try what Aristotle said. Ill keep you posted but if you come up with any more suggestions please post them, thanks!

what kind of connection do you have Mr. Yuck DSL?? I know i have cable and i love it i get better then advertise speeds out of it.. 1.8Mbps/300kbps upload... Advertised was 1.5/256k.. And whos my ISP - Comcast, i kinow they get bad reviews buts there not so bad just there customer service is horrible.

i dont know if this works in CS 1.6 aswell, but i tweaked out my connection for CS with the ingame connection tweaks.. when in consol ( ~ ) type in net_graph 1 , then net_graphpos 2, this will display your FPS, up/down rates, and 4 coloured bars , the goal is to tweak this so that the bars are as "spikeless" these are controlled with the CL commands, cl_rate default is 10000, mine is set at 9300 now i think, i think for the better the connection, the lower the #, and for slower connections, you raise that # in incrememnts of 100, cl_cmdrate will range between 20 and 40, stock is 30, faster connections you lower this, mine is at 20, and finally, is cl_updaterate , same as cmdrate, settings are between 20 and 40, stock is 30 and faster connections lower this #, ive noticed a vaste improvement on my connection with certain maps as well i play at a steady 48+ FPS on a full ( 21 player) server located in the states, if you already knew about tthis stuff... ym apologies, but for those who didnt, now you do... happy fraggin!!

net_graph 0 = off, 1 = on

net_graphwidth 1 = S, 2 = M, 3 = L

net_graphheight 1 = S, 2 = M, 3 = L

net_graphpos 1 = Left, 2 = Center, 3 = Right

cl_rate stock = 10000, - for faster connections, + for slower connections

cl_cmdrate stock = 30, - for faster connections, + for slower connections

cl_updaterate stock = 30, - for faster connections, + for slower connections

Edited by KaluMinati