Target shooting

Gr4vitas

So its spring time and I need a hobby to get me off my computer chair and outside. I've been a long time hunter and have shot pretty much everything and even into archery a bit.

But basically I want to get into high powered rifle competition. I think I want to shoot ether .308 or .270. Haven't decided which, (probably .308 cheaper rounds being that their nato?) but anyway I want to pick up a competition rifle, and I have no idea where to look. Most of the guns I own were handed down or bought for me when I was younger.

Where should I start looking to buy a rifle?

Man, I wish I could point you to some nice competition rifles, but i'm in the same boat; all my guns were either handed down, or are my dad's.

and yeah, I think .308 would be cheaper. .223 would probably be even more so, but then you did say "High-Powered" so .308 it is.

So its spring time and I need a hobby to get me off my computer chair and outside. I've been a long time hunter and have shot pretty much everything and even into archery a bit.

But basically I want to get into high powered rifle competition. I think I want to shoot ether .308 or .270. Haven't decided which, (probably .308 cheaper rounds being that their nato?) but anyway I want to pick up a competition rifle, and I have no idea where to look. Most of the guns I own were handed down or bought for me when I was younger.

Where should I start looking to buy a rifle?

:lol: ...google...!! :lol:

The M1 is the natural first choice for me if you are wanting to target shoot. Their prices have spiked as of late due to artificial inflation in the market caused by an undisclosed group of people in the District of Columbia... but last I read some of the moderates are falling off the AWB bandwagon, so their prices might start to come down in the coming months. Be on the lookout. The best place to pick up an M1 is from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. They have them in all grades, but if you're looking into target shooting, go with either a Match Grade, or for a little less money, they have the CMP Special Grade M1 which is basically a completely remanufactured rifle with a new barrel, new stock, and a refinished or new receiver. I have one on order right now, but they're flooded with paperwork. I sent my order in the middle of January, and they just got around to processing it two weeks ago.

Requirements to purchase one from CMP (basically they send it to you in the mail)

-Proof of citizenship (passport)

-Gun Safety certificate (conceal carry permit, range certificate, hunter's safety certificate, etc)

-Notarized form basically saying you are who you say you are.

-Membership to an affiliated organization (easiest one is the Garand Collectors Association for $35)

The only problem I foresee with you buying a Garand from the CMP is, other than the the fact they have the biggest selection at the lowest price, they're all .30-06. BUT, you can buy surplus mil-spec .30-06 from them anytime. 240 rounds for $86. These prices should come down a little with time, too... unless the AWB actually moves forward.

Have a looksy

http://odcmp.com/

I think you need to ask yourself if you want a gas-operated or bolt action rifle. I tend to side with bolt action. The Garand is gas-operated.

I'd like to get into marksmanship (haven't done it since high school), and on the top of my list were the .308 versions of the Remington 700P and the Tikka T3 Tactical.

Anything really, baring of course rifles with obscure ammunitons...

Just about anything can be fun, learn to proficiently shoot with a few different types...

Lever action bolt action etc.

Ask your family members if they have any old guns (or any guns at all), let them know what you're up to and chances are you'll get your hands on some weapons in no time at all, no sense in letting them keep them to rot/rust/corrode in their shed or garage or attic...

I compete in state archery champion ships in NH, I've taken 3rd place with my long bow. And 8th with my compound bow, I'm not new to target competition ^_^ but I want to get into seriously long distance rifle shooting. And yea I know my dad has a .308 but its a pretty standard Remington. I want to get something designed for target shooting, thumb grips, tactical accessories and such.

I think Remington put out a target version of their 700 this year. Might be a little above your price range. Don't forget the price of a scope on top of that...

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...ical_target.asp

I'll be shooting without a scope until I am accurate at about 500 yards or so. Then I'll consider getting a scope.