Building new rigg! wont it to be right

Nekroze

OK EITHER I GOT A TAD PROBLEM OR SOMETHING KINDA GOOD?

sorry for that caps i just noticed this and i am rather alarmed my motherboard specs say it supports up to 4 ddr2 ram of 1.8v HOWEVER my dual patriot ram is a 2.1v piece, now dose this mean that either they are completely incompatible or is it that at first it will run them at the usual lower frequency AND a lower voltage and if so will it allow me to then bring the DIMM's up to their max frequency and then to the advertised voltage or can i only raise that frequency but not the voltage having them forever run at 1.8v instead of what they are meant to?

i was rather thrown by this please assistance appreciated!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more question, more of a software question.

i only have a copy of windows xp 64 bit at the moment will that run the 295 ok with directX 10 xp port or should i look at getting vista or windows 7 asap?

i am already intending on making a dualboot of xp and 7 but currently my windows 7 torrent's eta is like 1 year sooo.. lol

AFAIK XP can't do DX10...but other than that, if you can find all of the drivers, XPx64 works well. Maybe a hair on the quirky side because it not as common...

If you have more than one hard drive, I don't recommend setting up dual booting. Just install the OSes on separate drives (with the other unhooked during the install process). The use BIOS to choose which drive to boot from.

at the moment i am on an XP machine with DX10 there is a port u can download, i found an article a little while ago on directx 10 and how MS left it awhile after vista was released and everyone got bogged down untill they final said that DX10 in XP COULD be done. im looking for it now.

hey i was just reading this article and i HAVE to ask ya'll:

are the Phenom II 940s really as lame as this article makes them seem?

phenom2-overclocking

this makes it seem so lame and not so useful at all. even though the i7 are that much more expensive.

it seems it might be better going with the core2 quad then a phenom 2 x4 940????

Edited by Nekroze

hey i was just reading this article and i HAVE to ask ya'll:

are the Phenom II 940s really as lame as this article makes them seem?

phenom2-overclocking

this makes it seem so lame and not so useful at all. even though the i7 are that much more expensive.

it seems it might be better going with the core2 quad then a phenom 2 x4 940????

I bult a q9550 build and a phenom 2 x940 build with a difference of $140 dollars with the same graphics card strength between the two.

The q9550 is undisputably the better quad but the phenom can be had for alot less.

In the question (unasked) about core 2 duo vs phenom II. I think I'd rather have the x3 720 over a core 2 duo since that extra core will help out in cases where more than two cores are needed. and they're cheaper. (I still want to see a review between an x3 720 completely clocked as high as it will go, and core 2 duo wolfdale taken as far as it will go)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

so they are not as bad as the article makes them seem, the main think i was worried about is will it keep up with my gtx 295 or will it throttle its performance? and with the gtx i decided that paying that bit extra for the 295 with a copy of farcry2 was not worth it so i got the gainward one and got a better mobo with the free'd up cash. the ASUS M3A78-T Motherboard.

can anyone confirm that the ASUS M3A78-T motherboard is compatible with Thermalright HR-09U Type 2 or type 3(and what is the difference between them really) and a Thermalright HR-05 IFX Northbridge Heatsink or alternatly to that one a Noctua NC-U6 Chipset Cooler. this is for a future modification and for the chip set I'm thinking the thermalright may be better cause it can support a fan but the noctua has some wicked passive cooling according to our reviews.