How 'Bout That Tesla S?

LoArmistead

I can't wait the technology in these things to get cheaper. But they're pretty stylish (a little too "I Robot," but still cool), fast, and pretty cheap compared to past offerings. Top speed is about 120mph, but for a daily driver, these things are going to be awesome. I'm looking forward to all the other auto makers coming out with their all-electric models.

teslamodelslive_08_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/tesla-m...mile-range-0-6/

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its decent, but the charge isn't enough for cities like miami unless you get the largest battery (300 something miles). My dad fills up his BMW three times every 2 weeks and he barely does any driving.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Why wouldn't 160 miles be enough for daily driving? You can plug it in when you get home...every day.

On a 220V outlet, the car can be recharged in 4 hours.

:rolleyes:

I think it's pretty sweet. I'd buy one if I had the money :)

Seems like it would be easy to do. Come home from work, plug it in to the outlet in the garage... just like plugging in your cell phone every night.

My only question is... upkeep costs? The battery is going to be warrantied for at least seven years, so $5,000 every 7-10 years for a battery isn't too bad. That's also assuming battery technology won't advance and get cheaper over time, which of course it's sure to do. I'm curious what the maintenace schedule is, and how much the stealership will charge for it.

Edited by LoArmistead

I can't wait the technology in these things to get cheaper. But they're pretty stylish (a little too "I Robot," but still cool), fast, and pretty cheap compared to past offerings. Top speed is about 120mph, but for a daily driver, these things are going to be awesome. I'm looking forward to all the other auto makers coming out with their all-electric models.

teslamodelslive_08_opt.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/26/tesla-m...mile-range-0-6/

nice car for 60g....the planet will like it...!!

quick edit; the missus and i were looking at the camry hybrid for our next car but this could be a reasonable alternative...

I'm really excited about this, because I am hoping the US will be the industrial leader in the "green revolution." More importantly, I hope the US will be the industrial leader of the free market green revolution. Aside from pending government loans to set up the factory, it looks like this car was developed using solely private capital, and given the price/performance of this car, those investors are sure to get their money back ten-fold... now if we can just find a way to keep congress from taxing away their returns on investment...

I also think this recession is timed well. Assuming Barry and his hoodlums will allow us to get out of it, we should hit an expansion just as this green technology is really kicking off, and all the money that has been pulled out of the market for the past six months will be looking for a profitable place to go... and at this rate, green technology is it. If the government will just STOP, STOP everything, stop spending, stop taxing, stop regulating, and just allow the economy to move on its own accord, we have a real chance.

Edited by LoArmistead

Not spending money on gas, ok, but what about the electric costs it takes to CHARGE this thing? And think about how they make most electricity anyway.

I think they said with the 300-mile battery it takes 4 hours to charge from a 220v outlet, putting it at $4 per charge using their calculations. My car, on the other hand, gets a little over 400 miles to the tank, and can cost $40 in gas to fill up.

I think it's more important to look into the future, though, which makes it a good question. Gas will eventually be $4.50 per gallon again via government intervention, but electricity prices will also go up via Barry's cap and trade he's wanting to enact - and we basically HAVE to enact it at this point or risk literally unbearable deficits in the coming years. We're buying now and paying later, basically. The CEO of Duke energy got in front of congress and told them that electricity bills in some areas of the country will increase several times over, which is scary... but it's all in the name of scientific theory that some scientists (with a vested interest in the outcome) have come to a "consensus" over, which automatically makes it right, right? Depending on how much electricity prices go up, the price to charge the car will go up, too, but it still won't be as much as gasoline.

Edited by LoArmistead

my power is mostly nuclear, so other than radioactive waste, it would be a great ecological improvement over gas for me.

I especially like the blue neon in the headlights, it makes it look a little mean

Edited by Savan

Not spending money on gas, ok, but what about the electric costs it takes to CHARGE this thing? And think about how they make most electricity anyway.

I've been wondering about this as well. Also with pollution. They're just moving the pollution from emitting from your car to emitting from your local power plant. I would think you'd still be getting about the same amount of pollution production if that power plant was using gas or coal. I don't know though. Any thoughts on that?

I've been wondering about this as well. Also with pollution. They're just moving the pollution from emitting from your car to emitting from your local power plant. I would think you'd still be getting about the same amount of pollution production if that power plant was using gas or coal. I don't know though. Any thoughts on that?

Well, it's definitely a good point. Go renewables! (OT: I'm getting my M.S. in wind power)

In terms of efficiency, I'm pretty sure the electric will win over the gasoline cars. Even when considering the power generation, transmission. Despite being "efficient" in terms of current technology, car engines are thermodynamically pretty inefficient...and then you have to consider all of the drilling, refining and transportation of the fuel.

I like electric. Energy storage will be the limiting factor, but, if you can develop and service the batteries in a sustainable fashion (and, of course, get sufficient performance out of them)...well, damn :)