Poor Cheiftec Dragon

Well I figured I would put in a topic about my First case mod. Granted it still is in progress at the early stages but as soon as I have more Materials Its going to take off. Hopefully I will be done with it by the end of next month. :lol:

The case in question. Cheif tech Dragon. (model 2002)

The goal of this matter.

1: Better airflow

2: More hard drive places

3: make it glow

4: make the once was old now new.

Basically What I intend to do is.

!!DONE 1: Cut out the better part of the front aluminum cover that houses the two front 80mm fans and the hard drive cages. I will then fabracate a flat metal peice and intend to put two 120mm fans in the place of the hard drive rack and the exiting fans. DONE!!

2: After that is complete I am going to build my own "high airflow" hard drive rack that is removable via thumbscrew. This way I will be able to mount the hard drives sideways to gain more space in the case. This will also as KrazyXazn stated earlier make it easier to remove and renew the drives. and make it a better possiblity of fitting a 280 gtx in there COMFORTABLY.

!!DONE 3: Modify the air channel in the front lower plastic beauty cover to Feed the need of the front fans. DONE!!

Done4: Im going to remove the rear fans and using the same method as the front I will mount 2 92mm fans for exhaust.Done

Item # 4 I dicided to not do. I just want to try it out without the rear fans just to see if it will promote better airflow.

!!DONE 4.5: while the i/o panel and mobo tray are removed I am going to cut Wire managment Holes. DONE!!

5: After all that is said and done I will butcher the bottom panel. I want it to have wheels for easy transport (or as Bisket stated below... It just may be a Radio controlled case) and mount 2, 3, maybe 4 fans on bottom of the case with air filters. (frigging animals) With the added clearance I should be able to make use of this. Turned out I could only mount two fans. But thats ok.

!!DONE 6: Apparently not an inch Shall be spared on this case. Its going to receive one or a pair of top fans for the hell of it. ^_^ . Done!!

7: Then its off to the Powdercoating House.

8: Make it glow, How I don't know.

(edited for explanation of mods and on's)

I AM A FREAK OF NATURE

Edited by boinker

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, I got the same Chieftec Dragon case too. They are like mini ovens, but super light.

Some suggestions you could do:

1. Have the hard drive cages side out towards the side panel, instead of into the case then out.

Reason behind that is because big video cards block the cage from coming out without getting near close or touching.

2. The front cover, has a plate you can take off. So maybe some lights in there to leak through the side?

Edited by Krazyxazn

here is a few Pictures of the mod in progress.

DSCF0500.jpg

DSCF0512.jpg

DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0514.jpg

its coming along OK. still have to either cut or holesaw the fan holes. and I ran smooth out of rivits..... this dang thing has a million of them.

Thank GOD. now I know how to post Pics.

Edited by boinker

Here is the modded front panel pics

DSCF0519.jpg

Notice the difference in space from the modded bottom to the unmodded top

DSCF0516.jpg

DSCF0517.jpg

There is the screw I had to use to remedy the Front panel

Thanks baulten :D

Edited by boinker

These dragons are still my favorite case.If they updated it with 3 120mm fan holes.....it would be the end all.

Actually there will be three front 120mm fans in it. two on bottom. one in the 5.25 inch bays. :lol:

i see he texted me a pic but didnt put it on here he has the 2 120mm fans mounted in front now but i am sneeking this post in at work so no time to upload pic

Don't put that pic there bishop. its pew pew.

Edited by boinker