Andrewr05

Vegetable Gardens

Do you have/plan on having a garden?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently have a vegetable garden?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If you chose "No" in the last question do you plan on creating one this year in an attempt to save money?

• Yes
    • No
    • I already have a garden (YES to question 1)
  3. 3. If you chose "Yes" in the first question would you say that your garden has saved you money versus buying comparable items at a market/grocery store?

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not have a garden
  4. 4. If you chose "Yes" in the first question what was the reason to begin the garden?

• Family tradition (I grew up gardening/having fresh vegetable my whole life)
    • The cost of produce drove me to try it out
    • I've always wanted to try it
    • I wanted the experience and satisfaction of growing and maintaining something to help feed myself or my family
    • I don't have a garden

we have a tangerine tree and grow some cooking herbs in the back yard but decided not to do the vegetable thing this year... also andrew we do the garden thing for satisfaction and relaxation moreso than to save money...after you factor in costs for fertilizer/soil, water, and starter plants it's not necessarily cheaper to grow your own....it is fun and enjoyable to putter in the garden/yard after a tough week at work...kinda rejuvinates the spirit...the missus and i like our yard and take good care of it for the joy it brings ....cya ....cj

it's not a stupid question andrew...you rock...!! :thumbs-up:

Yeah, sometimes the economy dictates the garden "supply" cost but I think overall its cheaper if you can get local fertilizer (manure and such and you don't have to drive far to get your supplies)

I don't have a garden... it's a gravel / concrete carpark with some trees at the back and side... and there is a small lawn at the front... nowhere for vegetables though lol
You've got windows you know...

:P

Get a couple upside down cherry tomato plants or grow some small sprouts on the window sill.

You can even ask to hang an outside flowerpot in front of your window...

:)

Kudos Andrew for your gardening enthusiasm! I hear a lot of that in March. :P

But along around June, we're really going to need to see some pics. :D

Get a couple upside down cherry tomato plants or grow some small sprouts on the window sill.

I don't know how long cherry tomatoes take to grow, but I'm sure the time and effort, compared to the 5 seconds of me eating them all, doesn't really work out :lol:

I might grow some herbs in the window... maybe...

Oh actually, there is a concrete area at the back of my house... and there are even plant pots, unused... I guess I could, use them? :lol:

Highly unlikely that I will though...

We don't eat a lot of vegetables, but I do plant Beef Master tomato plants (love them :lol: ), cucumbers, and onions for scallions (we call em green onions down home :rolleyes: ).

It will be another 4-6 weeks before it is warm enough and dry enough to cultivate here - right around Mother's day is when I get the tiller out.

BTW, three or four cherry tomato plants will keep you supplied as long as they produce :thumbs-up: . They take a couple of months to mature.

:foldon:

Mom grows tomatoes, parsley, red pepers, green peppers, squash, eggplant, etc, etc every year, mainly cause we eat alot of pasta. We have a greenhouse in the back yard cause the damn squirrels always get to them ;)

I'd love to have my own garden, but I live one campus in an apartment... so no place for one. Reason I'd want one is that sometimes it's really hard to find a store that sells habanero peppers, and they're my favorite. also, if I had one i'd grow tomatoes along with all the stuff it takes to make salsa. mmm I'm making myself hungry...