ATi Radeon HD 5850 & 5870...

MrAlex

I wonder why they can't design the PCB with the board in the center and components on both sides. This could in theory shorten the card because of more surface area for components wouldn't it?

Are you talking about using both front and back? If so, then not really, because the stuff on the other side (back) means something. The stuff on the front gets soldered to the back with the pins going through. With components on both sides your solder points are going to get crossed or covered.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you talking about using both front and back? If so, then not really, because the stuff on the other side (back) means something. The stuff on the front gets soldered to the back with the pins going through. With components on both sides your solder points are going to get crossed or covered.

Ooh, k. I just make theories. Usually, they are extremely uneducated. :D

SMD stuff negates this problem. That's why you see memory, resistors, etc on the backside of cards.

SMD stuff negates this problem. That's why you see memory, resistors, etc on the backside of cards.

Oh, I know. I don't mean to imply that that back is completely "lost", but just that that's why you don't see full usage back there. You'll often see extra memory back there and such, but generally the back is no where near as populated as the front. You still see quite a few solder points on the backs.