ATi Radeon HD 5850 & 5870...

MrAlex

>|

nVIDIA drivers don't seem so complicated. They just go with the flow.

SO, say ATi has to release numerous amount of drivers for some odd reason, they'll go to Catalyst 9.68 for example?

Aren't software version numbers usually to denote when a major change has happened, e.g v1.5-->v2.0

How will the average user know what major overhauls there are in Catalyst 9.4 if they aren't 'technical' users?

(This is based on users who usually only download major overhauls, i.e some users don't download SP1 etc and just wait for the next OS)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they aren't random... 9.1 = January 2009.... 9.2 = Febuary 2009.... so it goes like this: year number.month number. 10.1 would be the actual version for January 2010. Frankly I appreciate that ATi updates their drivers more often and another reason I don't like nvidia... I think nvidia is about to fall behind since their in the whole relabeling game and also disabling parts of the cores to make lower end cards. Wheres the innovation at that ATi is now bringing to the table? Btw if anyone is interested when these puppies come out I'll be selling my HD 4870's. Specs in sig. They are the 1gig edition.

Edited by Compxpert

>|

SO, say ATi has to release numerous amount of drivers for some odd reason, they'll go to Catalyst 9.68 for example?

Aren't software version numbers usually to denote when a major change has happened, e.g v1.5-->v2.0

How will the average user know what major overhauls there are in Catalyst 9.4 if they aren't 'technical' users?

(This is based on users who usually only download major overhauls, i.e some users don't download SP1 etc and just wait for the next OS)

What is complicated about the way ATI does it? The year number goes first, then the month. It is pretty straight forward.

>|

:wacko:

You don't need a secret decoder ring to determine with the Catalyst 10 drivers are coming out, unless you were implying all along that the Radeon 5000 seires isn't launching until 2010.

I think the 'Catalyst 10' horse is officially dead, so...

I hope the 5870 has those specs AND is as short as the picture, finally videocards wont be ridiculous anymore and I'll actually be able to reach my SATA ports :rolleyes:

I'm hoping this is the case too. I'd love to see this trend of giant cards come to an end, but realistically I have a hard time believing it will. Wait and see, I guess...

I'm hoping this is the case too. I'd love to see this trend of giant cards come to an end, but realistically I have a hard time believing it will. Wait and see, I guess...

Agreed. It'd be nice but it's not likely.

I didnt realize ATI did that with their driver naming... Thats so much easier to understand. I had "whoa" moment like when you first saw that there was a -> in the Fedex logo.

I didnt realize ATI did that with their driver naming... Thats so much easier to understand. I had "whoa" moment like when you first saw that there was a -> in the Fedex logo.

You made me lol today. Like Verran I also hope this trend of large videocards ends but I am also skeptical of its potential end. It looks like the 5000 series might be the nail in the coffin for nvidia for now.... well maybe not nail in the coffin but this is gonna be a pretty large blow at nvidia.

I wonder why they can't design the PCB with the board in the center and components on both sides. This could in theory shorten the card because of more surface area for components wouldn't it?

There are components on both sides... :unsure: