4870x2 "Incompatible display adapter"

upok

Sorry if this has been covered. I just got a new 4870x2, loaded cat 9.3 and get the code 43 error "Incompatible display adapter. At least on display adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter." I have installed, uninstalled, tried the drivers from Diamond(manufacturer), reinstalled. Nothing. I keep getting the same error. I looked through some other forums and the only solution people seem to agree on was reinstall Vista.(or buy Nvidia) I really don't wanna do either. Any suggestions?? Please.

welcome to the would of ATi, this is why i sold my 4850s, thats all they would do and from what i read you have to reinstall windows and cross your fingers and hope..

some people have no problems and others like you and me have no luck. from what i was reading when i still have the cards was 8.10 worked but everything else didn't. some even said it worked randomly again from starting at 8.9 and installing all the way to newest.

Edited by hornybluecow

I had 2 4870s in crossfire for months through 8.9-9.1 without any problems. Why the problem with the x2? I just bought this today, if I can't get it working well by tomorrow, it's back to Microcenter for a gtx295!!

thats most likely whats going to happen, i spent 2 weeks trying to get crossfire to work but all i got everytime i booted was that error. aside from reinstalling the OS i did EVERYTHING on any forum i found with no luck.

best of luck to ya!

Edited by hornybluecow

Okay, day 2. I uninstalled and used driver sweeper in safe mode. Then I rebooted and used the disk that came with the card(driver ver. 8.552-cat 8.11). Rebooted and waited for the "Incompatible..." bubble. No bubble. Cool, thought I was in the clear. Open CCC and no crossfire option. Disgruntled and angry I decided to just run a few things. The Steam CS:S Video Stress test came back at 296fps at 1920x1200 everything maxed, which was in line with my former crossfire rig. Ran 3dmark06 and pulled a score of 23179 at stock video card settings, which is only 900 points off of my best overclocked score with the crossfire rig.

So, IS crossfire working even though it doesn't show it in CCC? Wow, this is frustrating. I used to wonder what all the whining about ATI's drivers was all about, up til now I've never had much trouble. But if this is "normal" for ATI, I may have to try something different. But before I bash on ATI too much, anyone ever have these kinds of issues with NVIDIA drivers? The forums that I'm reading about NVIDIA driver problems all seem to be pretty old. Any thoughts?

Btw: Device Manager shows 2 Radeon hd4870 x2 entries, both working normally, and CCC in overdrive has 2 adapters in the pull down menu.

Edited by upok

Now I would try to install 9.3. But before, make a backup so in case you get the same problem you'll be able to do a system restore. :)

Edit: Did you take a look at what GPU-z says?

Edited by The Smith

Tried 9.3, no joy. GPU-Z says cat 8.11 installed and crossfire is enabled. But like so many others, I don't want to use 6 month old drivers!! I don't play 6 month old games, so I need newer profiles included in newer drivers. Oh, this is getting old in a hurry. The really confusing part is that my 2 4870s in crossfire never gave me any trouble. Just this x2. aaarrgghhh!!

The 4870X2 is a 'single card', as AMD like so say. Basically it is the difference between a dual-core CPU and using 2 single core CPU's in a dual-socket motherboard.

Try Catalyst 9.2

So with a single 4870x2, the crossfire option will NOT be listed in CCC?

That's correct. Mine has never has a Crossfire option because you can't turn off Crossfire (aside from disabling Catalyst AI if you run into compatibility issues).