Sign in to follow this  
dryclean_only

Haven't done a build in 5 years, need help/opinions

Hi, first time poster here. I haven't done a build since 2002 so I'm a bit rusty. I'm trying to stay within a decent budget.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Motherboard options:

EVGA LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188044

GIGABYTE LGA 775 Intel P45 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128359

GIGABYTE LGA 775 Intel P45 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128358

CPU Options:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115017

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037

RAM:

????? -

So basically I'm a gamer so that's what I'm building this towards. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Also, I've never tried OCing anything but would like to try to start learning how to with this build so something that may be a bit more OC noob friendly would be nice.

if it's mainly built for gaming then get a dual core (or triple core) otherwise it's quad all the way.

also definitely get a P45 they are WAY better than any nvidia chipset, plus that specific nvidia board will force you to have to buy DDR3 memory which is a further waste of money.

Would you consider a Phenom II build?

Overall budget is roughly 600-800 bucks. I think the case, dvd-rom and one of my hard drives is all I plan on keeping from my current machine.

I'm not against AMD I have just liked what I'm seeing from Intel more. My current CPU is an Athalon 64 3000+.

I'm probably only going to at least start with only a single video card since I doubt I can make the case that I need 2 to my financial director a.k.a WIFE. When I was leaning towards the EVGA board I was looking at getting an EVGA GeForce 9800 to go in it.

I'm not against AMD I have just liked what I'm seeing from Intel more. My current CPU is an Athalon 64 3000+.

If your looking for a budget build AMD is often the better choice, Intel CPU's may do better in benchmarks but AMD CPU's are powerful and inexpensive. Many of my builds use AMD CPU's and the customers cannot tell the difference between that or an Intel CPU. If your going to be doing something extremely processor intensive then Id reccomend an Intel quad hands down.

I'd reccomend a 790GX board.

It will also probably be a good idea to purchase a new harddrive, just because the older a HDD is the more likely it is to die. You'll have to do a fresh install of windows anyways. Besides HDD's are pretty cheap.

BTW

W3lc0m3 t0 th3 0cc

Edited by tacohunter52

Yeah, It's probably been between 6 and 7, not 5. I haven't really paid attention since my last build so in the last month or so i had to catch up on multiple core CPUs, SLI, and PCI-E among other things.

I was still planning on going with a new drive as well and putting the OS on it but using the old one still. Maybe I'll see if I can fit in 2 new drives and scrapping the old one.

So AMD huh? I've been using AMD for 11 years or so now and I haven't ever had a problem so I could stick with em. Are the Phenom II's their current heavy hitters? I'm looking for a CPU in the range of 150-200 or so.

i would buy gigabyte mobos.... and 8400 is for gaming and 6600 is for video editing or troubleshooting or wtv that needs quad cores.. but most game certified by quad core i think.... then ill get a nice gtx 260... or wait for 300 series... right PROES?? that UD3P would be nice..... Lol

Edited by abid

i would buy gigabyte mobos.... and 8400 is for gaming and 6600 is for video editing or troubleshooting or wtv that needs quad cores.. but most game certified by quad core i think.... then ill get a nice gtx 260... or wait for 300 series... right PROES?? that UD3P would be nice..... Lol

I have no idea what you were trying to say.

If your not planning to crossfire in the future, get the UD3R.

Dual for gaming and everyday use, Quad for everything else.

RAM...just get decent sticks. Get 1066 sticks if your planning on overclocking.

(In order of preference) Mushkin Redline/EP2/HP2, OCZ Reaper, G-Skill, Corsair XMS2...all good stuff.

About the Newer AMD Processors:

Intel killed AMD's Athlon processors with Core architecture, and AMD hasn't made anything much better than C2D/Q

But with the new Phenom II chips, AMD is getting hella close.

If you do decide to get AMD, get a black-edition processor, and a decent cooler for overclocking.

Black edition=unlocked multiplier. :D

EDIT: Core i7 is not an option for a budget conscious build, so don't even bother.

Wait 'till late this year/next year when Intel releases 32nm chips.

waiting to see how that turns out.

Edited by hojin994

I don't know why people say go with AMD and not Intel because its cheaper.

Its not so much cost, more so its being a fanboy.

With a $600 budget and needing a cpu, motherboard, RAM, power supply and GPU, you can buy a very nice Intel or AMD and have a very nice PC.

Either way you will have a nice upgrade from your current system.