Damn, Black Edition CPUs are awesome!

Waco

It's mindless overclocking.

Bump voltage, bump the multiplier, run Linpack to test stability.

I've got the HTPC X3 720 at 3.6 GHz and it took all of 5 minutes to figure out where to start. It'll boot at 4 GHz but BSODs loading Windows, 3.8 GHz loads up into Windows but has residual errors, 3.6 GHz seems to be happy so far. This is all on the stock cooler from my old Opteron 175, it runs about 56 C maxed out in Linpack. B:)

I really like these BE CPUs. :lol:

Man, I can't wait to get one. Were you able to unlock the 4th core?

I'm not planning on unlocking it. I don't want a nasty CPU bug that I can't find popping up down the road (this is the same reason I don't like overclocking RAM). After seeing "known good" RAM fail pretty miserably to certain test patterns when working at Micron it really isn't worth the risk to me.

Glad you like them...pretty easy to get them running good...and they are cheap unlike the Intel counterpart...(extreme editions)

I have a couple dual core Black Editions and they run sweet...and clock like no tomorrow...

If you get bored and curious, I'd love to see a comparison of multi-OC versus HTT-OC for one of these chips. As in... how much difference does the unlocked multi really make? Obviously it makes things much easier, that part's already been proven :)

Why would you want to unlock a dud core?

Apparently some of the unlocked cores are surviving torture tests once unlocked. Who knows for how long, though?

Obviously AMD thinks they're duds but they may not be all bad. That's the whole point of OCing, after all. AMD determines its only good for so much speed at stock, but with good equipment we make it go further. Just because it didn't pass AMD's tests doesn't mean it can't pass ours :)

Well, speed binning is complicated. Once your process matures you end up getting a TON of high-clocking parts but they end up speed-binned down to lower speeds simply to fill out demand for those parts.

Also, the 3.6 GHz clock only stayed stable for about 30 minutes in Linpack before throwing residual errors. I have it at 3.4 now and it seems pretty happy (been going for well over an hour now).

I got the new video card in as well (the 4830). I overclocked the core from 575 MHz all the way up to the limit in CCC of 700 MHz and it hasn't even broken 55C. :lol:

My HTPC is now officially faster than both of my roommates' gaming machines. :lol:

HTPC picture update:

Yay parts are here!!!

DSC00280.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

This RAM is sexy. :D

DSC00286.JPG

Phenom II love:

DSC00287.JPG

The case:

DSC00302.JPG

Building finished (with the new video card, I had to move one of the hard drives so the power cable would fit):

DSC00304.JPG

Random picture of all the crap I pulled out of my car today:

DSC00309.JPG

I'm more than pleased with this build. I fired up Crysis to see how quick it was and it ran perfectly with everything on High at 1280x720 and 4xFSAA. I don't think I'll have any trouble gaming on this beast. :lol:

Well (as I know it) AMD offers the Tri Core processor as a cheaper alternative to the quad core? So do you think that EVERY tri core is a damaged quad? I think its more likely that the majority of these chips are just quads that have a core disabled so AMD can sell them cheaper and get more money for their quads. If I had one, I'd be enabling my 4th core.

Well (as I know it) AMD offers the Tri Core processor as a cheaper alternative to the quad core? So do you think that EVERY tri core is a damaged quad? I think its more likely that the majority of these chips are just quads that have a core disabled so AMD can sell them cheaper and get more money for their quads. If I had one, I'd be enabling my 4th core.

I would bet that the majority of them are actually damaged in some way.