In the Cell Phone Market Again

DLS2008

My AT&T contract is up near the end of April, about 4 weeks. I'm going to stick with AT&T, because my Dad is a federal government employee and receives a huge discount (the federal government has a contract with AT&T as their sole cellular service provider; therefore, employees get a big discount on personal phones). I know I want a smart phone as my Motorola Razr V3xx just isn't cutting it. I'm thinking maybe an iPhone 3G Refurb, but I'm not sure.

What new phones are being released soon? I want a new phone for the summer. I'm home from college on April 29 and hope to buy soon after. Although, I could wait if there's something sweet coming shortly thereafter.

My requirements:

1. Full keyboard (physical or virtual doesn't matter).

2. Smart phone.

3. 3+ hour talk time.

4. Standard headphone jack (I have Bose headphones, this is a must)

Desirable Features:

1. Bluetooth

2. WiFi Capable

3. MP3 Capable

I've also thought about a Blackberry. Let me know what you have to say and if I should or shouldn't go with the iPhone.

Price: Hoping to stay $200 or so.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have AT&T but I can vouch for the curve. I love that phone. I know several people that have it and all are very happy. I know some people that have the iphone and aren't happen. They are just part of the whole apple fad. I am upgrading to the blackberry storm which is unfortunately only available on verizon at the moment.

I have an iPhone 3G currently running the beta OS v3.0 (which is an excellent update). I really like it. Does everything I need it to. It's a great iPod as well. I don't really keep up with phones so someone else will have to suggest other phones.

It's a great iPod as well. I don't really keep up with phones so someone else will have to suggest other phones.

And there's two more problems I run into. I have a 70+ GB music library... Now to decide what goes on the new phone I get. If I don't get an iPhone, what other phones support MP3s and how much space do they have?

Then the whole not keeping up thing. Well, I haven't looked at phones in 2 years. If you assume everyone knows something about a phone, I guarantee you that I don't.

Tell me everything, assume I know nothing.

iPhone also has a great browser. Safari is top notch for such a small screen. It's one of those things that I don't use that often but when you need to look something up having a good browser is nice.

The apps are all excellent. Mail is great for on the go emailing. And it has the game Risk (called Lux Touch) how can you beat that (except that the developer needs to add a save button so you can actually exit and come back in to the the game).

I also like how it does the SMS's. It shows all of the messages and your replies to a number so you can easily see what has been said.

Here's another vote for the iPhone. I've had phones with physical keyboards and don't listen to anybody who will tell you that virtual keyboards aren't just as good.

There are some Blackberries are also very nice phones. I would suggest going into the store and checking them all out before making a decision.

I had a samsung glyde before my Iphone. It was a terrible phone, but it had a physical keyboard. I was hesitant above the virtual keyboard but it works just fine. +1 iPhone.

I love my iPhone (1st gen) and the wife loves her iPhone 3G. Several friends of mine have gotten the iPhone and they all love it as well.

That said... I really suggest you visit your AT&T store and play with the phones on display. It's what I did before I got my iPhone... I played with all the smart phones they had available at the time, and was blown away by the iPhone.

As far as your headphone... I do not know if they will work or not. The iPhone has a standardish jack, however it has an extra notch due to the speaker and button on the Apple headphones. You could always take 'em to the AT&T store and give it a try. :P

Thanks guys. I was for sure going to go play with them at the store. It sounds like the iPhone is pretty good, and I'll check it out at the store. Are there any other specific phones people recommend other than just playing with what they have available at the store?

I will check out the headphones, thanks d3bruts1d.

My vote goes to the HTC Fuse aka. Raphael. I'm wanting to get one myself and after seeing how touchflo is working on the G1 I'm even more stoked for it. Heck I just looked and I didn't even know it had a USB to 3.5mm adapter that comes with the phone and you can get it $174 off newegg with free shipping.

Edited by Compxpert

Iphone all teh way. Playlists can solve your mp3 size limitations. The iphone has a soild state memory so it syncs fast as well.

I think I can sync about 3gigs in only a few minutes. Where as my ipod with the hard drive took hours. itunes is awesome too for syncing playlists and stuff.

iphone has a major update which is resolving most of the features that were missing from the phone.

Its a great tool, and the app store makes it even more amazing you can find an app for almost anything!

Playlists can solve your mp3 size limitations.

It would just take so long to sort, lol.

The iphone has a soild state memory so it syncs fast as well. I think I can sync about 3gigs in only a few minutes. Where as my ipod with the hard drive took hours.

It will probably be limited by the USB speed.

iphone has a major update which is resolving most of the features that were missing from the phone.

That's coming out in Juneish?