How to cut though stainless steel?

Queenz

I'm kinda curious as to what you're doing with a pipe that thick...if it was something serious...you probably wouldn't even consider a dremel as a viable option (yes, it CAN cut it...but why on earth would you want to do that?)

Go rent an oxy-acetylene torch with a cutting head.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rent?!? No... Go buy the angle grinder and you'll have it for next time!!!

This is the way I thought for many of my tools. This is partly why I have a great collection now. When I'll move into my own house, I won't have to buy any tool because I already have them. Heck, we even built my own workbench in the basement! It's smaller than my mother's one but still... :D

BTW yeah it's my mother who plays with tools, not my father lol :lol:

I'd say buy tools, but only if you're going to use them sufficiently...

I know I would, I know you would...not sure about queenz, though :lol:

PS: If you want a REALLY easy way, and clean way...put it on a lathe with a carbide parting tool, run it at the correct RPM (use the machinists "bible" to calculate that). I've done stainless on a lathe with carbide tooling...there are worse materials to work with.

Edited by Crazy_Nate

I'm kinda curious as to what you're doing with a pipe that thick...if it was something serious...you probably wouldn't even consider a dremel as a viable option (yes, it CAN cut it...but why on earth would you want to do that?)

Oxy/Acy won't do a very nice job,,, you will still need to use a grinder to clean it up afterwards,,, Get a grinder and some zip discs and a 1/4 " grind disk and away you go,,,

Or just take that piece of pipe to a welding shop and ask them to cut it,,, they would do this for free unless they are Jerks..

I am a welder and I don't charge anything less than a half hour... and i wouldn't feel right about charging 1/2 hr for 2 seconds work.

Edited by feetfats