Queenz

How to cut though stainless steel?

also, who said he was cutting a pipe?

First post he asks.....

I was wondering can a rotary tool cut though a stainless steel pipe? Is it hard case I need to cut it.

If it's 1mm- 1cm would be like a brick!- use a high quality "Nibbler Tool". Hand operated ones range from $10- $50 bills. If it is a tube, use a carbide tube cutter- $20.

Good tools are a worthwhile investment! Just get what you can, piece by piece, and voila! you will never need to ask again. <_<

I'd use a jigsaw (since I don't have a bandsaw or other type of reciprocating saw)... stainless steel can be incredibly tough to cut, using a rotary tool would take like 20 minutes or something ridiculous, but a jigsaw, maybe 1 minute?

C'mon guys just use an angle grinder like this one:

Angle_Grinder.jpg

Expect to use 1/3 to 1/2 of your cutting disk. It will take you approximately 1 minute.

I can't believe no one talked about it lol...

Edit: Took a Smith to find out the best solution :P

Edited by The Smith

We'd always use plasma cutter for anything other than sheet metal at school.

Plasma Cutters are AWESOME...... they let you use those in School? God help us all.

Here is you a plasma cutter. only $1500... BUY UP :lol:

I remember rounding off an inverted torques on the rear axle shaft on a Old E-Class one day. Bare in mind that this is a grade 8 steel bolt. Got out my 30k RPM Die grinder and cutting wheel. Well lets just say between shooting sparks clear across a 50 FT shop and the Sh&* Eating grin on my face it was a blast.

Wear safty glasses thought and make sure the fuel tank DOES NOT LEAK before you attempt any of the above.

Edited by boinker

I can't believe no one talked about it lol...

I can't speak for others, but I didn't mention solutions like this or a jigsaw because I figured he didn't have them. At least those are reasonable though. Most homes have a jigsaw, I'd say a few less have an angle grinder. But when I read the suggestions for plasma cutters?! Yeah. :lol: The kid's asking what RPM to set his dremel at for cutting steel tube, and we're thinking he both has and knows how to use a plasma cutter?! :rolleyes:

I kind of figured that one Varren :lol:

Although if not a trained or schooled in cutter tourches or welders I would not recommend the use of a plasma cutter. That thing can cut through steel like luk-warm butter. :lol:

Most homes have a jigsaw, I'd say a few less have an angle grinder.

Rly? Here I'd say half of the people have one... I have my own and I think my mother has two lol...

Furthermore you can get an angle grinder for really cheap. Sometimes there are specials on them at Canadian Tire which brings them down to 50$ CAD.

Anyone who like to work metal should have one :D

Rly? Here I'd say half of the people have one...

I don't :( I'd like one some day, but I haven't had enough of a use for it to go buy one yet. ALL of my car buddies have them, but besides them I don't think many other people I know do. I don't think I'd qualify it as a "standard" household tool, that's what I was getting at. If you're the type to come to an overclocking forum and ask how to cut stainless steel with a dremel, I'd be willing to bet you probably aren't from a family that has an angle grinder :)